PDA

View Full Version : Wall Joins - WHY? & HELP

Maximillian
2006-12-19, 11:21 PM
Whenever I am closing the siding over the floor and really ready to be DONE with the project, I run into this. Maybe I am doing something wrong ?

I get gaps where the walls meet in the corners..see picture

I can sometimes kind of fix it by changing the location line of the wall but it is really maddening...

Sorry for the rant ..any best practice tips or super clean streamlined, jedi wall trick solutions would be great.

whittendesigns
2006-12-20, 12:47 AM
I hear ya, man do I hear ya. I'm with you all the way. I go through this always. Attaching corner boards is another pet peeve of mine.

What I've done over the course of time is mitre all my corners. I just go through and do almost all of them.

For the rim, I make a modified wall with the core thickness the thickness of my rim material. Then I do the same dang thing again, mitre almost all my corners. It drives me mad. I wish the option for mitre was a one click thing, then all the walls would mitre.

To be honest, I don't positively know what is happening there, but something like the connections of the 2 walls on the upper and lower aren't the same. One goes past, while the other gets held back and vice versa on the other level.....if that at all makes sense.

sjsl
2006-12-20, 01:04 AM
Some Questions come to mind:

1. Have any of the walls been edited in elevation?
2. Is this condition made up of multiple walls, meaning have you split them into pieces in any way?
3. Have you edited the wall section unlocking the the finish layers?
4. Have you tried pulling back the walls and rejoining them?
5. Have you tried diallowing the joins of any of the walls?

Maximillian
2006-12-20, 07:36 AM
There is probably more I should add. The walls were split due to a slight level change and i was trying to pull the finish down from adjacent walls that were at two different levels. My mistake.

However i had to go in and mess with walls that were on the same level too. The location line setting is very obtuse or i don't understand it.

Is anyone just running the walls all the way up and then only cutting the floor around the walls in section? ( join)

1. Have any of the walls been edited in elevation?

2. Is this condition made up of multiple walls, meaning have you split them into pieces in any way?

Yes, this is a remodel where the builder went from a 12" floor joist to a 10" (2" step DN)
and i split the walls in that area thinking it would be necessary

3. Have you edited the wall section unlocking the the finish layers?
Yes

4. Have you tried pulling back the walls and rejoining them?
Yes, That is the most frustrating part

5. Have you tried diallowing the joins of any of the walls?
No