PDA

View Full Version : Complex Wall Design - Help Needed

pashley
2004-06-29, 11:46 AM
I have created a 16' high 11.5" brick on stud wall with reveals that serves as my main exterior wall. My problem is with a "bump-out" that periodically occurs over the top of the main wall. This bump-out is a 4" projection of EIFS (stucco) on wood studs that will be only about 10 feet high.

When actually constructing it the brick in the main wall behind will not continue behind the EIFS but will run only from the 10 foot height to the 16 foot height. My solution so far was to make a 15.5" deep EIFS wall and run it to 10 feet high and then have a brick wall above it running from 10' to 16'.

Does this make sense? It seems rather hard for the user to manipulate - two walls and all. Can I make a vertically composite wall that has EIFS and bigger studs to one height and brick above that backed by narower studs extending to another height?

If I can't make one wall type for all of this, I''ve also thought about creating a variation of the brick wall where the brick doesn't start until the ten foot height. The EIFS wall would sit in front of that. That way I would have parts of both walls to manipulate in the plan view.

I know I don't want to see any brick behind the EIFS in plan. And I would like the live sections to at lest approxaimate what is being constructed.

aggockel50321
2004-06-29, 11:54 AM
I think you can do it.

The stucco wall would have to be a sweep added to the wall.

Then while in the wall properties dialog, looking at a vertical section, you can unlock the constraints on the brick portion & move the bottom & top down & up to where you want it.

sbrown
2004-06-29, 12:27 PM
Its actually not too hard to manipulate multiple stacked walls, you will find greater construction accuracy if you use "stacked" walls. Your approach is dead on though, if you can use 1 wall do it. If you can't get the true construction with one then do 2.

The trick with stacked walls and try this in a blank project is to create 1 full height wall, then add a level(not really necessary unless you may change the heights) at the elevation you want the material change, now split the wall at that level and the 2 walls will still act as one, move the top and the bot moves, move the base and the top moves. Note you should draw the walls or make sure the a core location point is selected for the location line.

pashley
2004-06-29, 03:42 PM
Scott,

I tried what I thought you were saying but didn't get it to work.

Tell me if I'm interpreting you correctly:

1) draw a full height wall - say brick with stud backup.

2) using the split tool, split the wall horizontally along a set elevation

The two split walls are supposed to move together? Mine don't. I see a lock symbol along the joint when I select one of the walls but they move and stretch separately - and this is before I changed the wall type of one of the sections. Do I have to explicitly lock the tow sections together? I can constrain them of course but then I can't manipulate them freely.

pashley
2004-06-29, 03:51 PM
Let me amend my earlier reply. The two split walls will move together if I move one of them perpendicular to the run of the walls but will not if I move (or stretch) one of the walls in the direction of the run of the wall. Odd.

Seems like I ought to try making a single wall type. Someone on the Autodesk Revit Forum said that he would not recomment using split regions in wall types as it slowed things cown. Does anyone have experience with this?

tamas
2004-11-11, 07:08 PM
pashley,

If you are still here and downloaded Revit 7.0, try the new stacked wall type for this situation.

Let me know if it works as you expect it.

Tamas