PDA

View Full Version : Cut geometry not working for me

bimologist
2006-12-20, 03:52 PM
I have two parallel walls, albiet with a bit of air between them. I have a door that needs to be cut through the paralell wall as well, I am not having any luck. any other tricks to achieve this.
thanks

nnguyen
2006-12-20, 05:16 PM
Okay there are a few ways to handle this.

1. Create an opening in the second wall where the door is.
Modelling-->Opening...-->Pick a wall to be cut by an opening. (make sure you are in an elevation view)

2. Edit the profile of the wall. (also need to be in an elevation view)

3. Place an opening component in the wall. (load the family from the revit library included in the program)

4. Create a wall type that has that gap instead of using two different walls. this way when you tag the walls, you only one wall tag that goes to that type of wall. granted you can only see the structural make-up of the wall in medium and fine view.

I have included example of the 1, 2, and 4 ways.

bimologist
2006-12-20, 06:40 PM
Thanks a bunch for your quick and detailed response. I will try to figure something out and pick one of the options youmentioned

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-20, 07:11 PM
Also, realize that option 4 is the only one where your actual "Door Frame" is going to encompass both walls and the air space. Otherwise, youll have to make a Door with a Frame that just happens to ride way past whichever wall its hosted in, and then (as mentioned) youll have to edit the other wall... But they wont be intelligently connected (through the door parameters, anyway)...

tamas
2006-12-20, 10:14 PM
If the walls are close enough and parallel, if you join them with the "Join Geometry" tool, the door will cut both.

Tamas

beegee
2006-12-21, 07:37 AM
6 inches ( 152 mm ) is the max distance apart, if memeory serves.

bimologist
2006-12-21, 03:44 PM
6 inches ( 152 mm ) is the max distance apart, if memeory serves.
I am way less than that, I cannot get it to work.

tamas
2006-12-21, 03:48 PM
I am way less than that, I cannot get it to work.Did you try Tools->Join Geometry between the two walls? If yes and still does not work, could you post your file here?

Tamas

twiceroadsfool
2006-12-21, 08:15 PM
If the walls are close enough and parallel, if you join them with the "Join Geometry" tool, the door will cut both.

Tamas

Wow, really? That then, solves my debate on wether or not to model Interior finishes as separate walls, for projects involving interior design and renderings!!

Michelle Gibson
2007-02-06, 06:38 PM
I am following this as I have requested how to manipulate the "application wall" so that it buts into the frame and does not extend to the rough opening. We typically use a wrap frame for doors and windows, then want the added material, which we create as a wall type such as 90 concrete block or ceramic tile thinset on cement board. We apply these finishes and use the join geometry command, but the second wall covers most of the frame.

No solution yet, hoping someone has one.