PDA

View Full Version : Importing Polylines and Making Areas

bjwson
2006-12-21, 06:50 AM
Dear All,

Is it possible that i bring closed polylines from auto cad and revit recognises them as rooms for areas. what i mean to ask is what is the point in redrawing lines again in revit to get areas if i have them already (ie. existing projects or Drawing already produced in Auto CAD)

Regards,
bjwson

Steve_Stafford
2006-12-21, 07:38 PM
Welcome! I've moved this post to the Revit General forum since it sounds more like a question than a wish list item at the moment. It certainly could be a wish but hard to define how it should work without more information.

Revit does not automatically convert dwg/dgn lines or polylines into room separation lines or walls. In Revit one assumes that you'll be defining walls for boundaries which in turn allow Revit to display the area. When you import such a dwg file you can use the Pick Lines option to select the linework of the dwg to create walls or room separation lines.

If you use the TAB key in conjunction with this Pick Lines tool you can select a chain of lines to place walls or room separation lines over many at once. Not automatic but you'll find that dwg files can be pretty poor representations of the actual walls you'll need in Revit, too many segments. Unless as you say they are really polylines, but even they can have too many segments.