PDA

View Full Version : JWuske, Santiago High: Roof Situation

imorttuner
2006-12-21, 07:12 PM
Looking for advice on how to solve the following roof situation.

Have gone to Teacher and Cal Poly student for help, both have had the same difficulty of correctly joining these roofs.

Open to ideas and solutions...

Henry D
2006-12-21, 09:58 PM
If I understand: you want that little gable peak to hip back in the same plane as the main roof...is that right?. My simple minded way of doing this would be to use a void to slope back the little gable and then I would just apply a little triangular roof with the same slope as the main roof . Then use the join geometry tool to get rid of the seams between your new and the existing roofs.

ron.sanpedro
2006-12-21, 11:03 PM

Have gone to Teacher and Cal Poly student for help, both have had the same difficulty of correctly joining these roofs.

This is less a Revit answer than a Architectural answer. However, I in general consider those little hats, and the little bit of peak under the window there at the Entry roof, to be places where the design needs to be massaged a little. The fact that Revit can do it doesn't necessarily mean it is a good design. Revit is awesome in that you can fiddle and tweak and come up with a much better design much quicker than in AutoCAD or the like. But sometimes you find that something is wonky and very hard to fix, because the cause of the wonkiness is far away. In this case because the width of the smaller roof is actually wider than the width of the main roof the peak is higher at the same pitch. Now you could lower the pitch of the smaller roof, but if you maintain the height of the walls and the overhang you will have a new wonky condition to deal with, different eave heights. The thing to notice is that a decision you made a while ago, the width of different parts of the plan, is having an impact on you now a few stories above in the roof. So next time, you can make decisions in plan with a much better understanding of how that decision will affect you later on.
And as for that entry condition, you might try this. Move that whole entry roof up a foot (so the eaves don't conflict) then lower the slope until the ridge is at least 6"-1' lower than the top of the shed roof. Then you need to verify that the slope isn't too low for your chosen roofing ;) That is the hard, and fun part of Architecture I think, the fact that everything is so interconnected. Because then, when you change the roof material to deal with the slope, you might also ask yourself how much energy went into it's manufacture, and how toxic was that process, and how far will it have to be shipped, and can the client afford it, and...

Anyway, hats off to all of you. You are going to be way ahead of your peers when you get to College, and likely ahead of many professionals when you graduate. All of which will be a very nice place to be.

Best,
Gordon

ron.sanpedro
2006-12-21, 11:08 PM

By the way, I think your design is a great example of what needs to happen in plane to make a "craftsman" style house. Notice how all the corners and setbacks in plan make the roof more complex, and the result looks much more "craftsman" than a simple 2 story box with craftsman details and overhangs. And the columns at the entry are very nice, and in keeping with the overall design, in detail and scale. Good stuff.

Gordon