PDA

View Full Version : [Bug]: Revit invented levels on its own.

overcaffeined1745
2003-06-22, 09:10 AM
My project has 10 levels. However, when I change a top/bottom attachment of a wall or a column, I get a list of maybe a hundred of levels!!! Their names are made from the name of other levels, just adding a number after them.

In the project browser tree I just see the 10 levels. The "fake" ones appear in the pop-up list of top/bottom attachments only.

I feel worried... I feel like this may cause Revit to be unstable when working with my project...

Anybody experienced this?

beegee
2003-06-23, 12:52 AM
There has been mention of a similar problem either here or on alt.cad revit ng. I cant remember the details :oops: but it wasn't that long ago.

Just a blind guess, but did you create levels by copying exiting levels ? That could have caused a problem. Its also worth checking your default template file to see how the levels are set up there.

Let us know how you go.

beegee

overcaffeined1745
2003-06-23, 08:23 AM
No, I didn't copy levels. However, I used "Paste Aligned" (but without copying levels, just elements).

Fortunately, I save a backup every night, and I found a file version where the bug still didn't happen. My current guess is that the bug occurred when I edited a group. I'm sure I didn't add a level to the group, but however it seems Revit "invented" a zillion levels when regenerating the project after the group edit.

I'll search alt.cad.revit for the thread you mention. Maybe it has some hints for avoiding the problem. Thanks!

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-23, 11:04 AM
The copying levels issue is different than what you describe. Don't copy levels unless you want multiple copies of views. Draw new levels when you need additional levels.

It's not necessarily time you want to spend, but if you could recreate the problem, it would go a long way toward helping Revit fix it if there is a real defect. You'd be helping us all at the same time and I'd appreciate it. But that and a quarter will still have you wishing for some coffee.. :cry:

Here's a link to that topic though, it was here in this forum:

Automatic Copies (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=299&highlight=levels)

overcaffeined1745
2003-06-23, 11:39 AM
The copying levels issue is different than what you describe. Don't copy levels unless you want multiple copies of views. Draw new levels when you need additional levels.

It's not necessarily time you want to spend, but if you could recreate the problem, it would go a long way toward helping Revit fix it if there is a real defect. You'd be helping us all at the same time and I'd appreciate it. But that and a quarter will still have you wishing for some coffee.. :cry:

Here's a link to that topic though, it was here in this forum:

Automatic Copies (http://www.zoogdesign.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=299&highlight=levels)

Yes, I didn't copy my levels. All of them were drawn manually. The bug happened somewhere when I edited a group. That group is an apartment inserted 60 times in one of the buildings. I don't know whether I can recreate the bug or not, though.

sbrown
2003-06-23, 02:14 PM
Please send your file and journal file to revit for review, the only way these bugs get fixed is if we take the time to send in the data.

overcaffeined1745
2003-06-23, 08:08 PM
Please send your file and journal file to revit for review, the only way these bugs get fixed is if we take the time to send in the data.

I'd love to. Unfortunately I don't have support, because Revit is still not distributed in my country (Spain) and I'm using Revit for my final project as a student (which complicates things because the educational program availability is usually delayed from the professional channel).

When I did my architectural CAD research months ago, I contacted my Allplan and ArchiCAD resellers in order to buy their educational versions. However, I finally realized that Revit was what I needed. I'd purchase a Revit educational license if it was available in Spain.

Regarding what I said in a previous message about being architect+engineer... I'm not an engineer... what I meant is that architects are also responsible for the structure here in Spain. On the other hand, engineers are responsible for the big civil stuff. But architecture is *fully* done by architects here (well, not exactly, as we don't put the bricks ourselves :lol: ) In my final project I've to do framing plans, analyze the structure, etc...

As I don't have any support, I doubt I can file any official bug report. However, I'd love to contribute in the Revit development. I'd file a bug report if I was entitled to do so. And, as said above, I'd buy an educational license if it was available. And Revit is my most serious preference when I'll consider software in my near professional career.

I hope to finish my final project in October, which means that my student days are almost gone. I don't know whether to feel :D or :cry:

gregcashen
2003-06-23, 08:12 PM
I believe many of the Revit development team members frequent this forum, so they are probably already aware of what you are saying. I can't imagine they wouldn't want to know about your difficulties. Let them know what is going on anyway and see if they can help.

Steve_Stafford
2003-06-23, 08:14 PM
FWIW, I pm'd a couple to see if they could intervene...let's see if they can.