PDA

View Full Version : Scheduling Detail Components

greg.mcdowell
2006-12-22, 04:43 PM
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this already (and it would be an unfortunate "no") but what I would like to do is to create a schedule of all of the detail components used in the project for the purpose of ensuring that they have the correct Keynote.

I've created Schedules for Objects and Materials to help with this and have found it to be quite useful but I don't see a way to grab the detail component information in a schedule.

As I said, I'm pretty sure I can't do this (yet?) but thought I'd throw the idea out there and see if anyone has any suggestions.

tomnewsom
2006-12-22, 05:27 PM
Nope, can't be done :(
A real shame as well, as there are some wonderful annotations I could make that would be so useful if you could schedule them.

dbaldacchino
2006-12-22, 05:36 PM
Just a thought....could you nest your detail components into generic model families and use those instead? Those are scheduleable and since you're nesting detail components, your visibility settings should be maintained (visible in plan, elevation, etc.)

amara
2006-12-26, 12:31 PM
I like this idea od nesting detail components into model components. This way details can show only in large scale details, and then material takeoffs can be made for all building elements - paint, plaster, sills, etc. without needing to have them as model components - which cannot be done anyway. I hope this integration between model and detail components can become possible soon ?????

ford347
2006-12-26, 02:28 PM
I would love this. Especially to assign the correct keynote. I use the keynote database with detail components like crazy, but I have never found the time to open up every detail family etc., and assign the keynotes to them from the start. It seems like I always copy/duplicate within a project, and assign keynotes to them as I go, which is pretty slow and leaves it up to the template to keep everything in sync. Not my first choice.

Plus, I just did a layout project for some CMU roof ledgers that were meant for field drawings. All the bolt layout, etc. were done through detail components. There were approx. 6000 bolts in there, but I would have loved to get an exact count after that work. But not possible as far as I know. So it would have some very practical uses.

BTW, I feel silly as I always find myself assigning keynotes to model components via properties for every type I use. I've never done this through a schedule! I use schedules everywhere and I will now start using it for keynoting as well. Man, that one could have saved me tons of time!! Thanks for the wake up even if that wasn't your point!

Josh

tomnewsom
2006-12-31, 02:25 PM
Just a thought....could you nest your detail components into generic model families and use those instead? Those are scheduleable and since you're nesting detail components, your visibility settings should be maintained (visible in plan, elevation, etc.)
Great, except that said objects would be in the model, not in the view. Granted, you can mess about with filters etc. but it's not the same.

dbaldacchino
2007-01-02, 04:38 AM
True (not view specific) but you have control over visibility. You can put things on various subcategories and turn them off in the view you don't want them displayed in.