PDA

View Full Version : Exterior finish materials constraints

The Monk
2006-12-27, 09:31 PM
I have a condition on a project where there are several finish materials on the same wall. What is happening in the design is a diagonal slash (horizontally) across the building face has different finish materials separated by a reveal. One of the materials is corrugated metal siding. I have created the metal siding by way of profiles. What I did was create my base wall and then added an exterior (thin 1/2" ) wall to host the corrugated metal profile upon. I placed a reference plane across the wall that represents the sloped reveal. I constrained the thin wall to the RP. The wall slopes correctly but the host profile "steps" down instead of sloping. The profile shapes were placed in a vertical plane. So the flutes of the corrugated metal are running top to bottom.

Is there another approach to take? Are there switches for profiles to make them follow a slope along the top or bottom of the profile?

Thanks,

John

robert.manna
2006-12-28, 01:07 AM
Unless it is absolutely imperative that you have actual geometry for your corrugated siding, I would use a hatch pattern and not create real geometry. While this is somewhat "un-revit" I shudder to think at the load this model is creating if the building is of any large size. Furthermore, if you use a hatch pattern, you can simply have two wall types that have different exterior finishes, and manually stack them in the way that you already have with your two different "finish" wall types and the reference plane then use the join geometry tool to clean-up any linework.

HTH,
-R

cphubb
2006-12-28, 07:14 PM
John,

Attached is an image of a wall with metal siding cut similar to what you describe revealing brick underneath. I used an inplace void that was the depth of the siding and the cut geometry tool to create the reveal. I then used the paint can tool to make the cut area look like brick which is pretty much the only instance I use the paint can for. This should give you the visualization you are looking for, and the material takeoff will be mostly correct for the metal siding and the brick (it is full height after all)

The Monk
2006-12-30, 02:55 AM
Thanks Chris ... I had tried that but I did not think of making the base wall with the material to be above the corrigated metal.

John

cphubb
2007-01-03, 12:24 AM
John,

One thing to note, that is not the underlying brick you see in the cut. Buy default it is grey. I used the paint brush to make it look correct. However note that the material quanities will be accurate.