PDA

View Full Version : Fascia Voids

hirschnc
2007-01-02, 02:01 PM
Good Morning and Happy New Year Forum Friends!

A question for the new year. Is there a way to create fascia sweeps that are voids? I would like to "carve away" the edge of the roof slab to create an edge detail rather than adding a piece to the edge of the roof slab.

Thanks, Bill

aaronrumple
2007-01-02, 02:20 PM
Good Morning and Happy New Year Forum Friends!

A question for the new year. Is there a way to create fascia sweeps that are voids? I would like to "carve away" the edge of the roof slab to create an edge detail rather than adding a piece to the edge of the roof slab.

Thanks, BillSort of. You just create a slab edge that extends the slab and make that profile with the cut that you want. You just need to offset the sketch of the slab to accommodate the profile's dimension.

You could also use a generic floor hosted family to cut the slab, but that will take a little more effort to manage and not miter as nicely as the slab edge.

hirschnc
2007-01-02, 02:53 PM
Thanks Aaron. I'll give that a try.

Bill

HawkeyNut
2007-01-02, 04:06 PM
...I would like to "carve away" the edge of the roof slab to create an edge detail rather than adding a piece to the edge of the roof slab...

There is another way to accomplish this. You can create an in-place roof family with a void sweep. Simply select the edges of the roof as your sweep path. Draw any profile you want to cut from the roof. Use the 'cut geometry' tool after you finish the sweep geometry and before finishing the in-place family.

Attached is an example where I carved away an area to end up with a silly double-rounded roof edge...

whittendesigns
2007-01-02, 04:54 PM
Another way that might obtain what you are looking for (this is what I do for almost every design) I use crown along with my 1x8/10/12

After you make your roof, select it, hit properties, select 2 cut plumb, then set your seat cut to 0" or if you type it in, I've noticed I can't go beyond 1/32". Then you can attach the fascia sweep to the edge of the roof.

Obviously, this works well with edges, but not rakes. When I need the same detail on rakes, I use a thin roof to cover the existing one. Usually 1/4" to simulate roofing, then attach to this thinner roof.

HTH

whittendesigns
2007-01-02, 05:09 PM
Might be actually helpful if I attached a pic hehe

HawkeyNut
2007-01-03, 12:40 AM
It's been a while since I've done residential. WhittenDesigns offers a very nice solution!