PDA

View Full Version : what files are referencing?

Wanderer
2004-06-29, 07:47 PM
I don't know if this is a silly question or not. Does anyone know if you can look at a file, and somehow see what other files are x-reffing it?

I have a drawing with no title block, etc, and it has sheet separations, and I need to find one of those sheets!!!

heeeeelp!

mjfarrell
2004-06-29, 07:57 PM
great question!

I don't think so, as the dictionary item inside the file that contains
the xref information is in the PARENT file not the child (xref'ed) file.
If these file are supposed to all be in the same project folder, or similar
you could load the lot of them into batch standards checker, toggle
on the feature to check attached xref files, and let it run, in the report
it generates you will see what files are reffering to what other files.

Wanderer
2004-06-29, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the quick reply, I figured the data would be stored with the other file.

I'm not sure really where the files would be. This particular file is in a folder for files whose filing location I am unable to determine. :screwy: I just found it laying around, you know.
~sigh~
Figures, that would be way too easy. Perhaps I should go to the wishlist forum? Does anyone else think this would be useful?

Ed Jobe
2004-06-29, 09:18 PM
Usually, that is a function of a document management system. Not only keeping track of your files, but how they relate to one another.

Mike.Perry
2004-06-30, 07:40 AM
Hi

Check out XrefTrack by Tony Hotchkiss on the CADalyst web site -

Manage external references (http://new.cadalyst.com/code/tips/CodeSearch_Detail.cfm?ID=ALSP801)

Have a good one, Mike

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 12:18 PM
Usually, that is a function of a document management system. Not only keeping track of your files, but how they relate to one another.
Hmm. I'd never really thought about document management systems. :grin:

I started here 4 years ago with no experience.
I walked into the file room, and asked 'so, who can explain the filing system to me?'
Everyone immediately fell on the floor laughing.
It has certainly been a great learning experience. I've created a detailed database of our 150,000 hard copy prints, and some 60 or 70,000 CAD files. But, there are a couple hundred of each whose origin/identity/whatnot cannot be determined.

Thanks for the tip Mike P, I'll check it out.

Coolmo
2004-06-30, 12:43 PM
I'd throw all the files without homes into a separate directory and/or burn them to CD/DVD and then see who starts screaming about their XREFs missing. That way you can forget about the problem without erasing anything important and the solution will eventually surface on its own.

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 12:49 PM
I'd throw all the files without homes into a separate directory and/or burn them to CD/DVD and then see who starts screaming about their XREFs missing. That way you can forget about the problem without erasing anything important and the solution will eventually surface on its own.You know that could work...

if I had some more serious users. ;p Sure, there are about 250 people in-house who can look at my files, but, they just look for floor plans and mepfp plans that I have created in the past two years, the vast majority of the remainder rarely get opened.

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 01:37 PM
Looks like a cool utility but, unfortunately, I don't have ACAD 2000 or know which files to select to check for being connected.

I googled for something newer of that ILK, but, just came up with what you mentioned.

~sigh~

Thanks so much for your help :beer:

Mike.Perry
2004-06-30, 01:50 PM
Hi

Have you tried to run it in AutoCAD 2005?

Only ask as the routine will successfully run in AutoCAD 2002 (I just tested here).

Have a good one, Mike

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 01:55 PM
Hi

Have you tried to run it in AutoCAD 2005?

Only ask as the routine will successfully run in AutoCAD 2002 (I just tested here).

Have a good one, Mike
No, I didn't run it yet. I am not sure where to start to select the probable files.
I wonder how long this thing takes to run with a lot of files, and I wonder if it will search down through many levels of folders or just search drawings I select? argh!

Basic point here is LOUSY DOCS from the contractor! Even if I do find the titleblock, the info I need isn't in the base drawing, I wonder if it will be tacked on in the file referencing it???

~sob~ I need a vacation.

Mike.Perry
2004-06-30, 02:00 PM
Hi

Give the Help file (which is very good) that comes with it a read, will probably answer a lot of your questions about what the routine can_do/can't_do.

Have a good one, Mike

Ed Jobe
2004-06-30, 02:32 PM
I certainly hope that's not a subtle jab at the way I've created my filing system, is it?
Or, are you saying that you think I should purchase a doc mgmt system of some sort?

I started here 4 years ago with no experience.
I walked into the file room, and asked 'so, who can explain the filing system to me?'
Everyone immediately fell on the floor laughing.
It has certainly been a great learning experience. I've created a detailed database of our 150,000 hard copy prints, and some 60 or 70,000 CAD files. But, there are a couple hundred of each whose origin/identity/whatnot cannot be determined.

Thanks for the tip Mike P, I'll check it out.

No, there was nothing in there that referred to your past/present practices. Just that is a built-in feature of all the dms that I have researched. A routine may help to figure out those few cases, but with that many dwgs, you need something that handles this on a regular and reliable basis. With that many dwgs, you surely have ample justification for a dms. The fact that you felt compelled to write a db would argue in favor of that. However, you could add that feature to your datbase. You probably have a single table with a record for each dwg/doc. Each should have a unique ID. If the table doesn't have one, add an ID field. Then create another table that will have a one-many relationship. Write a macro that gets the name and path of any xrefs in each dwg and populate the table with this info. Then you can simply do a query to find parents or children of a dwg. You may have to make sure that all xrefs are in your db, not just the parents. But as I said, this is how my current dms does it. A click of a button in its GUI gives you this info.

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 06:22 PM
No, there was nothing in there that referred to your past/present practices. Just that is a built-in feature of all the dms that I have researched. A routine may help to figure out those few cases, but with that many dwgs, you need something that handles this on a regular and reliable basis. With that many dwgs, you surely have ample justification for a dms. The fact that you felt compelled to write a db would argue in favor of that. However, you could add that feature to your datbase. You probably have a single table with a record for each dwg/doc. Each should have a unique ID. If the table doesn't have one, add an ID field. Then create another table that will have a one-many relationship. Write a macro that gets the name and path of any xrefs in each dwg and populate the table with this info. Then you can simply do a query to find parents or children of a dwg. You may have to make sure that all xrefs are in your db, not just the parents. But as I said, this is how my current dms does it. A click of a button in its GUI gives you this info.
I am not too hip on doc mgmt systems, so I wasn't sure. ;p

I have a hard time justifying anything to this crowd, though. Bunch of doctors and such don't even want to Pony up for a workstation better than what they give my secretary.
I don't have a unique field in my dbase, but, of course, it would be simple to write one.
Macro, huh? I haven' written one of those in a couple of years.
Luckily I am familiar enough with our complex and our contractors that I don't have this type of 'mystery file' pop up very often.

I wasn't away that that type of things could be done, but, I feel a little more knowlegable now.

Thanks for the info. :cheers:

Ed Jobe
2004-06-30, 06:36 PM
For the crowd that only thinks in terms of dollars going out the window, it shouldn't be too hard to show them what dollars are currently going out the window by not using a dms. Check out this white paper (http://www.synergis-adept.com/files/docmanguide/docman_mainframe.shtml) in the sidebar of this page (http://www.synergis-adept.com/files/clients/clients_casestudies_aec.shtml).

If you decide to go the roll-your-own route, just holler.

mjfarrell
2004-06-30, 06:42 PM
If you decide to go the roll-your-own route, just holler.

Hello, Willie Nelson, or would this be handled by Snoop Dogg?

BrenBren
2004-06-30, 07:16 PM
Hello, Willie Nelson, or would this be handled by Snoop Dogg?If it were Snoop it would be

holla fo schizo and pass the chronic

Ed Jobe
2004-06-30, 07:42 PM
Maybe the ZigZag man? I know nuthin' bout rap. (purposely)

Wanderer
2004-06-30, 08:33 PM
Hello, Willie Nelson, or would this be handled by Snoop Dogg?
Willie Nelson, thank you.

Almost got strung up when I was being interviewed for jury duty on a possession case. I said I think they should make it legal, but make alcohol illegal. just my opinion. I've never been injured by someone driving... after rolling their own. :razz:

Anywho eljobe, I might like to try doing this on my own. I don't know, I still have to start learning this whole MAP dbase stuff, so ~shrug~ one day at a time.