PDA

View Full Version : Visibility Graphics' Cells Grayed out?

wbs69117950
2007-01-03, 04:33 PM
What does it mean when a cell is 'grayed-out' in the V/G Overrides Dialogue box?

Under Walls, Cut Pattern, all the cells are gray. On one project I have Existing Walls under new construction phase show as gray lines w/ no fill. On another they show as gray lines w/ black solid fill. Not sure what controls this, and how to set it the way I would like to have it.

Help!

aaronrumple
2007-01-03, 04:47 PM
What does it mean when a cell is 'grayed-out' in the V/G Overrides Dialogue box?

Under Walls, Cut Pattern, all the cells are gray. On one project I have Existing Walls under new construction phase show as gray lines w/ no fill. On another they show as gray lines w/ black solid fill. Not sure what controls this, and how to set it the way I would like to have it.

Help!
I assume you are referring to the "Cut Patter Color" override.

The walls are controlled in the design of the wall itself. Each wall has a property "Coarse scale fill" which is used for a coarse level of detail. At medium and fine levels of detail the material definition you assign to each layer of the wall is applied.

The control you are refering to is an override to these settings. You need to check the box to the left to activate this option for the particular view. Then you can set the color for the displayed pattern. It does not however define the pattern itself.

The display of walls using phasing is controlled by the phasing dialog. Both the filters and overrides need to be used together to get the look you want. If you have an existing wall and the phase filter for the particular view is set to Override for existing walls - then the walls will be displayed with the settings defined by the graphic overrides.

aggockel50321
2007-01-03, 04:55 PM
Two places to look.

Take a look at Settings / Phases, and go to the graphic overide tab.

You should see the default settings for existing walls there, and that the material is set to phase-existing.

You can then go to Settings / Materials and add a solid fill to your cut wall, change colors, etc.

wbs69117950
2007-01-03, 05:19 PM
Ok, I solved my problem, but not the cells grayed out question.

Solution to my problem: Settings Menu, Materials, Phase-Exist was set to "Solid Fill" for the Cut Pattern. Changed it to no pattern and am getting what I needed.

See attachment for the grayed out cells I am asking about.

There seem to be many different ways to control the appearance (graphics) of items. How do you keep it all straight? And how do you learn it all when you are just starting out w/ your first Revit Project that is on the clock?

Thanks,

aaronrumple
2007-01-03, 05:26 PM
Ok, I solved my problem, but not the cells grayed out question.

Solution to my problem: Settings Menu, Materials, Phase-Exist was set to "Solid Fill" for the Cut Pattern. Changed it to no pattern and am getting what I needed.

See attachment for the grayed out cells I am asking about.

There seem to be many different ways to control the appearance (graphics) of items. How do you keep it all straight? And how do you learn it all when you are just starting out w/ your first Revit Project that is on the clock?

Thanks,The cell you are referring to is for the Lineweight - not the actual pattern. All hatching is controlled by the objects' material definition. All hatching in Revit objects uses Pen 1. So whatever setting that is set to is used globally. The only exception to this is filled region which are graphic objects - not model objects. The lineweight for these patterns can be set in the properties dialog.

The panel you are looking at should rarely need to be adjusted. You should use Settings->Object styles to control the look of objects globally in the project. This panel is only for creating exceptions to your CAD standards.

Once you understand the concepts, it's all a lot simpler than layers and color based plotting.

wbs69117950
2007-01-03, 06:05 PM
The cell I was pointing out was a general example. I am curious as to why all the cells shown on that example are grayed out. Not sure that I am completely following your previous post.

Right now our Revit CAD Standards are what Revit shipped with, as I am not totally sure of what is there, what should be changed, nor how to fully do it.

I am sure that eventually this will be like the Model Space / Paper Space disconnect I had about 10 years ago. I worked w/ MS/PS for about 4 months and then one day the light bulb came on.

I am really trying to wrap my hands around this thing, but right now, it is a little bit frustrating.

Thanks,

aaronrumple
2007-01-03, 07:15 PM
The cell I was pointing out was a general example. I am curious as to why all the cells shown on that example are grayed out. Not sure that I am completely following your previous post.

Right now our Revit CAD Standards are what Revit shipped with, as I am not totally sure of what is there, what should be changed, nor how to fully do it.

I am sure that eventually this will be like the Model Space / Paper Space disconnect I had about 10 years ago. I worked w/ MS/PS for about 4 months and then one day the light bulb came on.

I am really trying to wrap my hands around this thing, but right now, it is a little bit frustrating.

Thanks,
Those that are greyed out either don't have that graphic - or are handled by the Revit system and not modifiable.

As an example - specialty items have no cut graphic and will always be shown in elevation or plan - never in section. So that area is blank.

Rooms are an example of the Revit system controlling the graphics. You can turn the items on and off, but you can't change the way they look.