PDA

View Full Version : My first DST Template - Link DWS file to DST file

madcadder
2007-01-04, 03:54 PM
OK...

I have a DWT file linked to a DWS file. These files are stored together in //CAD Storage/Templates/

I just created, from scratch, a DST Template and stored it in the same location.

So, I'm sitting with a Drawing1.dwg on the screen, I start a new Sheet Set from template, add "New Sheet", select my DWT file as the template, Select the Layout Tab to be used from the DWT file, and 'Boom' the "Missing Standards File" ballon tip pops up. I click the "Run Configuration Standards" link and the dialog shows me the correct DWS file name with the big red circle/exclamation.

If I delete the link and redefine it all is well.

So...
How can I link the DWS file to my DST file from square one?

Or more so...
How can I pull the link to the DWS file to my DWT file that I am starting new sheets from?

or how ever you want to put it...
I need to be able to add a new sheet to my DST from a DWT and keep the DWS link.

Yea, that's it... Something like that.

Chris.N
2007-01-04, 04:07 PM
OK...

I have a DWT file linked to a DWS file. These files are stored together in //CAD Storage/Templates/

I just created, from scratch, a DST Template and stored it in the same location.

So, I'm sitting with a Drawing1.dwg on the screen, I start a new Sheet Set from template, add "New Sheet", select my DWT file as the template, Select the Layout Tab to be used from the DWT file, and 'Boom' the "Missing Standards File" ballon tip pops up. I click the "Run Configuration Standards" link and the dialog shows me the correct DWS file name with the big red circle/exclamation.

If I delete the link and redefine it all is well.

So...
How can I link the DWS file to my DST file from square one?

Or more so...
How can I pull the link to the DWS file to my DWT file that I am starting new sheets from?

or how ever you want to put it...
I need to be able to add a new sheet to my DST from a DWT and keep the DWS link.

Yea, that's it... Something like that.is it possible to have the linking backwards? i just learned about DWS files at AU, and thought you had to link that to your DWT, not the other way around... :?

madcadder
2007-01-04, 04:13 PM
is it possible to have the linking backwards? i just learned about DWS files at AU, and thought you had to link that to your DWT, not the other way around... :?

In my DWT file I configured the standards checker to look for the DWS file in the same folder.

So no... I'm pretty sure the DWT file is not linked to the DWS.
It is the DWS configured to (in) the DWT as should be.

madcadder
2007-01-05, 08:51 PM
A resolution has been given by my resellers tech support.

First time I've had to use them; first time I really didn't get a answer here.

Anyway...

The answer is:

The DWS file has to be in the same folder as the DST file to resolve.

I don't like it... Don't like it at all...
I understand why... But I don't like it.

madcadder
2007-01-08, 01:22 PM
BTT

So, I gave it a weekend the sleep on it.

Does anyone know of a way to keep a standards file attached to a template when inserted into a sheet set without having to copy the DWS file to the folder where the DST file is stored.

I understand that that would link the projects DST file to the projects DWS file, but we use one DWS file for all projects and have no need for that may copies of the same DWS file in different folders.

Opie
2007-01-08, 02:22 PM
Are you using a relative or absolute path to your DWS file? I'm not exactly sure how to specify an absolute path. Just thinking out loud.

madcadder
2007-01-08, 02:53 PM
Are you using a relative or absolute path to your DWS file? I'm not exactly sure how to specify an absolute path. Just thinking out loud.

Absolute. Every place that applies in OPTIONS has been changed to "M:\Templates"
"M" is mapped to same for Tampa, Chicago, LA, and NJ.

In my standards configuration the description is showing an absolute path of "M:\Templates\...dws"

2007-01-08, 04:29 PM
In ADT, you specify a Standards file that will be true for all files in that defined Project, no need to park it anywhere special. I wonder if that would be a useful wishlist item, and if so, how would you apply it, not many people use the ProjectName variable.

madcadder
2007-01-08, 05:07 PM
So... Right now with the way acad works it appears I need to install DOSLib and create a "new project" LISP.

This LISP will create the folder, copy the DWS file to that folder, and start the Sheet Set Wizard.

That's a lot of trouble, but worth it if it maintains a standards file.

So what does everyone else do?
How do you link your Sheet Set Template (DST) to a DWT file and a DWS file?

2007-01-08, 05:21 PM
So... Right now with the way acad works it appears I need to install DOSLib and create a "new project" LISP.

This LISP will create the folder, copy the DWS file to that folder, and start the Sheet Set Wizard.

That's a lot of trouble, but worth it if it maintains a standards file.

So what does everyone else do?
How do you link your Sheet Set Template (DST) to a DWT file and a DWS file?Use ADT, works for me.

madcadder
2007-01-08, 05:35 PM
Use ADT, works for me.

I am the only ADT in the company (All others, that matter, use A2k7), so my solution needs to be an AutoCAD solution.