PDA

View Full Version : Wall Drawing Techniques?

wbs69117950
2007-01-05, 02:46 PM
Maybe there should be a "Revit Building - Simple Questions" forum...I almost hate to post this...but, then I go with the philosophy of the only dumb question is the one not asked.

I noticed in the Commercial template (as shipped), there are only 2 sided finished interior walls. No 'gyp bd on one side only' walls. So, my question is: Are users making furring walls?

I took an Interior 4-7/8" Partition, and made an Interior 4-1/4" Partition, removing the Gyp Bd from one side. Seems reasonable.

Next question though, if a wall is continuous, and part of it will be real world constructed as a 4-1/4" partition, are users really revit-modeling it the same way, ie: 2 walls (in-line), 1 being the 4-7/8" partition, and 1 being the 4-1/4" partition?

Am I doing some wrong thinking with this way of working, still using my AutoCAD Brain, or is this the right track? I just want to make sure that I am not wasting time, and learning wrong techniques, when I could be doing it smarter and not harder.

Thanks,

aaronrumple
2007-01-05, 03:14 PM
ISo, my question is: Are users making furring walls?

Next question though, if a wall is continuous, and part of it will be real world constructed as a 4-1/4" partition, are users really revit-modeling it the same way, ie: 2 walls (in-line), 1 being the 4-7/8" partition, and 1 being the 4-1/4" partition?Yes, of course. In exactly the same fashion as you. We've just had a rather lengthy discussion about partition types and organization in our office and have come up with a naming/noting system to accommodate all of the different types one wall might represent.

Draw it like you would build it.

ford347
2007-01-05, 03:27 PM
Mind sharing the naming convention?? I have wanted to tackle this issue, but I'm the only one in the firm right now....so the time is quite limited. I have a trainee in the works now, but he is far from focusing on this right now. But now that I am bringing people in, I feel the pressure to step up the standards and get most things defined. I have put some thought into it, but haven't really come up with anything I think could accomodate most situations.

Do you use some kind of legend to keep track of what you have come up with, or do you let the naming tell the story? I took a look at WLC's wall template and theirs is quite elaborate, but I would have to spend time memorizing the diff. wall types for each type of wall construction. I'm sure it's second nature for them, but they also said they've used this convention for years and years. I would like to come up with something that people can pick up on quickly and apply to nearly every wall type.

Josh

aaronrumple
2007-01-05, 04:40 PM
We didn't use the system I can up with witch was more detailed - but made for a lengthy wall tag. We compromised on the experience from several users past firms.

It will be something like:
1S42
Which is <Fire Rating><Partition Category><Nominal Size><Modifier>

The partition category we're still working out, but it will be something along the lines of P=Partition, S=Shaft, F=Furring, M=Masonry, etc...

The fire rating is optional as is the modifier. The modifier is an instanced parameter which will indicate sound insulation or other special feature. We haven't tested this yet on a project, but are trying to get this set up for inclusion in our standards for both ADT and Revit in about a month.

The system I wanted to use was a bit more lengthy, but more explicit.
<Fire Rating><Core Material><Nominal Width>.<Facing Code><Facing Code>.<Modifier>
Or something like...
1S4.GG.A
Which would have been One hour 4" steel stud with 1 layer gyp. each side. and acoustical batt.

The system we're implementing will have some dependance on people understanding and knowing what the partition categories are.

ford347
2007-01-05, 04:55 PM
Thanks a lot. That gives me a guidline. I like it as it is detailed to a point, but leaves it simple enough to choose the wall that will satisfy most functions and can be modified easily. Just getting the abbrev. down is the key for everybody it seems. I'm sure I'll have a nice big sticky on my monitor or wall to remind me of such.....bad memory for the little things!:Oops:

Thanks again
Josh

Mike Sealander
2007-01-05, 05:58 PM
I am all alone in my office, too, but am using wall nomenclature I helped develop at a larger firm, when I was an employee.
It's similar to the last post. In mine, a letter-for material- and number- for size- define stud type (6w meaning 2x6 wood, for instance), a number defines how sheathings meet the floor-ceiling or dropped ceiling, a letter defines sheathing type (G for gwb, etc), and a number defines layers of sheathing. A last letter defines insulation. The important thing is that every conceivable wall assembly can be defined by a unique series of letters and digits. Each wall type has a fire rating based on its assembly, so I don't include the rating in the alphanumeric. It's tied to the Gypsum Association or other standard, and noted on the partition legend.
This partition is graphically defined on a legend, as you would expect. I have also decided to name all my partitions in Revit using the wall schedule nomenclature. And yes, I keep a copy of the Partition Notes taped to the wall near me!

tomnewsom
2007-01-06, 12:16 AM
For the project we're working on at the moment, it actually makes more sense to name the wall types based on their function on the plan. So there's "Bedroom-Corridor" "Bedroom-Bathroom" "Corridor-Corridor" "Bedroom Internal" and so on. Becuase finishes, sound transmission and engineering work is still to be done, this is letting me get the framework set in. Hopefully, I'll just be able to re-edit the wall types once we have fuller specs.