PDA

View Full Version : DWG import problem-seeing nothing

GuyR
2004-06-30, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I've got a 2004 DWG site plan . When I import/link it I see nothing. Zoom to fit and something is there because the window zooms to fit. I can also select by dragging a window around it and use filter etc.

I've tried printing, turning off OpenGL, exploding, overriding line settings, all import options and still I see nothing.

Seems like a graphic card problem but I'm not noticing any issues with my rvt models.

Other than pretending the sites flat any ideas? No I don't have autocad and it's the latest build.

Guy

Phil Read
2004-06-30, 10:39 AM
Guy -

Back in my civil days if a survey file had some benchmark far, far away from the site topography you couldn't see anything when you xrefed in the file because the information was so far apart that the site was a single pixel and practically invisible.

If this might be the case, try referencing the file into Revit - but specify a few layers at a time.

HTH,

-Phil

PeterJ
2004-06-30, 10:44 AM
You're no longer civil?

aggockel50321
2004-06-30, 11:28 AM
I've had the same problem, as our campus site plan is geo-referenced. In the past, when I imported it, & it was the only thing in the view other than the default elevation markers, & I zoomed to fit, the screen would appear blank. Once I turned off the elevation markers, it would zoom to fit & I could see it.

However, now with the latest build, when I import, & use origin to origin, I get a warning that says all the objects are out in east overshoe somewhere, & that Revit will use the center to center method instead.

I never recall seeing that warning before.

GuyR
2004-06-30, 08:53 PM
Cheers,

It doesn't seem to be geo-referenced type problem. I can still see my grids etc when I zoom out. I've asked the surveyor for a 2000 version DWG to see if that helps.

HA!! I really should clean my screen more often. The dot that I thought was dust was the site. So it was a geo-ref problem

Guy

dgreen.49364
2004-06-30, 11:53 PM
I've run into this problem a couple of times. For me, it has been an issue of how I was imporinting the file, origin to origin, center to center, etc. Another time, I forogt that the Revit model I was working in was set up with a finish floor of 0'-0" and the imported site plan was in real world vertical of 4600'.

DanielleAnderson
2004-07-01, 12:46 AM
We ran into this problem a while back too which caused us to invent quite an elaborate work-around. We were building initial station designs for an entire elevated transit system. Even though these stations were built in revit, we still needed the capability of linking them together correctly in space in Autocad. The problem is that the Seattle area surveys that we have have an origin that is somewhere out in the Pacific Ocean or Puget Sound or somewhere way out there. What we ended up having to do (since I think Revit will only recognize a site that is about 2 miles or so) was to chart the coordinates for an insertion point at each station location in the dwg survey map. (We have a hard-copy map that has all these little insertion points in it) Then we brought the dwg base info into revit using center to center. We then built the stations in revit. When we exported the stations back into autocad--on the big survey map--we then put the stations (using that chosen insertion point) back on the original coordinate location. It's a little tedious but it works quite well.

Taylor A
2004-07-01, 12:59 AM
I to have had trouble with this.....read the link below...in particular a quote from "grehcashin"

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=2567&page=2