PDA

View Full Version : How do I make these roof's?

Dave Lewis
2007-01-07, 10:56 PM
See attachments
This house is a POS design wise but it is what it is.
I am trying to accurately model the existing
The first is a 5' extension about the back where the original roof line is held.
In the revit screen shot there is a original L gable with an addition with a flat roof inside the L. I hope the shoots show what I am trying to model

dbaldacchino
2007-01-07, 11:24 PM
I'm not understanding what your problem is. For modeling what's in the photograph, you can either do a roof by footprint and give the appropriate slope to the sides defining slope, or you can use a roof by extrusion and then use the plan profile option to "cut away" the excess roof. For your Revit image, you need to join the roofs so you won't have those gaps (I suppose that's your question?).

Dave Lewis
2007-01-08, 12:12 AM
The extrusion idea works but I think I did it wrong
I have a line on my roof and I cannot join the roofs

whittendesigns
2007-01-08, 12:25 AM
align tool will help you the most there. it's prolly really close, but off like 1/32" or something. zoom in

luigi
2007-01-08, 01:55 AM
The extrusion idea works but I think I did it wrong
I have a line on my roof and I cannot join the roofs
It's actually too simple of a roof to use extrusion. All you need to do is to draw the footprint of the roof you want (kinda like an L shape, made out of 6 segments) you put the slope on only 2 segments, the extension doesn't have the slope. Revit will define the slope between the 2 segments, and the extension will have the continuation of the slope.

no need to join the roof... I don't have time to capture screenshots..sorry...I hope the description helps...

Ciao

dbaldacchino
2007-01-08, 02:01 AM
I wouldn't do it with a separate roof. Edit the big roof; if it's a roof by footprint, edit the sketch and change the Plate Offset from Base parameter for the sketch line. If it's a roof by extrusion, then just edit the Cut Plan Profile. The drawback with the latter approach is that the cut area will only get a plumb cut, whilst with the former, you have control over the edge condition.

EDIT: Updated the example...no need for a plate offset per Luigi's response.

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-08, 07:35 PM
See attachments
This house is a POS design wise but it is what it is.
I am trying to accurately model the existing
The first is a 5' extension about the back where the original roof line is held.
In the revit screen shot there is a original L gable with an addition with a flat roof inside the L. I hope the shoots show what I am trying to model

If I understand what you are trying to do, they key is to remember that "Defines Slope" really means "Defines and locates spring point and angle" or some such. It took me a while to realize you could have a roof edge that didn't "define slope" but that still had a slope.
So, I think for what you are doing you just want opposite sides of the roof defining slope, and on the side with the bump out, you can either define slope at the main house, or at the bump out, whichever is actually at the same plate height as the other side. But you don't want to define slope at both, because that will also set the same plate height by default.
In the first example I have the bump out at the 8' plate, so the longer eave is on a tall wall. In the second example the bump out has a lower plate, so the main roof has even height eaves and only the bump out is odd, and at a lower than normal plate height.

Best,
Gordon