PDA

View Full Version : 3D pdf's

whittendesigns
2007-01-07, 11:54 PM
Any time I see pdf in the subject I run screaming, so I won't blame you if you do the same on this one.:roll:

I am curious if anyone here has implemented the 3D part of the pdf's. I knew that they were there, but at the time it didn't look like anything important. However I think I have changed my mind. I was wondering if someone has had any experience with these programs? And how is the learning curve? It seems this would be a perfect fit for Revit.

I see Acrobat has released v8 somewhat recently
Subdo look like a better substitute for Acrobat?
Immdesign
document3d

Any others out there? Any horror stories? Positive stories? Is it worth the time and effort to try this with clients or business associates linked with our industry? Like engineers (structural, civil, etc...)?

narlee
2007-01-08, 12:06 AM
Acrobat 3D v.8 is still listed by Adobe as "coming soon". I checked out v.7. It has promising features, like a renderer and walk-thru navigation, but the navigation tools are VERY clumsy.

whittendesigns
2007-01-08, 12:28 AM
hehe, you beat me to my edit. I just noticed it said that in the most inconspicuous place. sneaky little adobe people make you think it's v8 you're buying.

truevis
2007-01-08, 01:43 AM
I tried it once with a little house exported to DXF. It sorta worked but was very doggy so I gave up. I should probably give it another go one of these months.

Isn't it designed more for small SolidWorks kind of assemblies?

Googled this:
http://www.architectureweek.com/2006/0913/tools_1-1.html it's got a "Sydney Opera House" but very simplified.

whittendesigns
2007-01-08, 11:07 PM
Doesn't seem like too many here think it's got something usefull. I'm surprised not more people have at least tried it here.

Maybe I'll dl a trial version and give it a go on a residential model and respond back with a sample file and see what everyone thinks

jeffh
2007-01-09, 02:41 PM
Have you tried exporting to 3D DWF? DWF viewer allows anyone viewing your DWF to navigate around the model, section it, make surfaces transparent, pull sections of the model away, etc... I don't know what all 3D PDF does but the 3d DWF export might have all the functionality you are looking for and is already part of the Revit installation. The DWF viewer can be downloaded for free as well.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/mform?id=8315020&siteID=123112&CMP=ILC-GN9219645015