PDA

View Full Version : Spot Dimension

rjcrowther
2007-01-11, 01:04 AM
Does anyone know if a formula can be applied to a spot dimension? The label in the spot dimension family is greyed out.

I want to have my spot dimensions display in brick courses relative to the level it is on. So rather than display say 1972, I want to display 23c

My thinking is to

make a spot dimension symbol that suits me (a line in this case)
make the level read relative to the level (can do that)
convert that level to a corresponding brick course level using some sort of formula - probably nested IF THEN looking at the range of formula options in the user manual (can do that but hope to find a better method)
Am I also correct in saying we do not have a VBA or LISP type feature like in AutoCAD.

Thanks,
Rob

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-11, 01:33 AM
No...a tag is created outside the project and we can't connected a shared parameter to values that are calculated in the project yet.

No VBA or LISP...but API can be access with Visual Basic or any other .NET supported programming language. Oversimplifying but, if you can't do it with the commands available in Revit then it isn't possible with the API either.

ford347
2007-01-11, 01:51 AM
Not to hi-jack the thread, but on the spot elevation topic, under object styles, spot dimension, why is it when I change the linetype to centerline, the linetype on the spot dimenstion doesn't change. I thought this was a similar process like section line? The spot dimension is a great tool and I would like it to look like a level annotation in some cases, straight out from the object with some prefix or suffix test, similar to the level...turn the arrowhead off. Anyway, if you guys know, let me know. Thanks.

josh

dbaldacchino
2007-01-11, 03:35 AM
I've edited the Spot elevation to look almost identical to our levels. The only catch is that some text input information (such as T.O. WINDOW) is required to be input by the user separately.

For your brick coursing problem....are you trying to do this in plan or section/elevation? For section/elevation, you could do a line based detail component which has a line anchored at the end. Nest a generic annotation with a Length label (right justified) and the letter "C" at the end. Now rotate it 90 degrees so it's parallel with the line and constrain it. Connect the annotation's parameter to a parameter in the family and place your formula (Length/Height per brick) and you should get your number of courses. Now in a section or elevation of your project, click at the foot of the brick wall and click at the top and you'll get a horizontal line with your number of courses.

rjcrowther
2007-01-11, 07:39 AM
For your brick coursing problem....are you trying to do this in plan or section/elevation? For section/elevation, you could do a line based detail component which has a line anchored at the end. Nest a generic annotation with a Length label (right justified) and the letter "C" at the end. Now rotate it 90 degrees so it's parallel with the line and constrain it. Connect the annotation's parameter to a parameter in the family and place your formula (Length/Height per brick) and you should get your number of courses. Now in a section or elevation of your project, click at the foot of the brick wall and click at the top and you'll get a horizontal line with your number of courses.Elementary my dear Watson - bloody hell mate, how did you arrive at that? Even better, it works.

Thanks

rjcrowther
2007-01-11, 07:57 AM
Ok, now that I've had 15 minutes to get over my euphoria - David, where do you get your information on families from (apart from obviously being a fairly intelligent fellow and being able to put 2 and 2 together). When it comes to families, I have found the tutorials and user manual to be ok at getting you going but not too good at taking you to the next stage.

Thanks,
Rob

ford347
2007-01-11, 03:11 PM
To chime in on that note, by no means do I consider myself where David is, he obviously has created some pretty good stuff, but I am getting better with family creation and have figured out how to get most things I need created, done (although not that efficient). But you are right, in my opionion, there isn't a really good resource for learning specific, advanced family techniqes on all the levels we would all like. I found that by finding similar families, even of a different type and studying those along with some tutorials, these threads and just pure trial and error for hours, and hours, and hours, is probably the best bet. Plus, instead of paying attention to what is being built with a tutorial, I think the point is picking up on what the family editor allows you to do with a family. But my perspective is one with only those resources availiable, since it's only me and in my area, there are probably five other people who are on Revit, although there are a lot of great firms around here. I just had no team members to bounce the ideas off of. I guess my point is, just jumping in there over and over is the best bet. But if someone else has a great resource, please share. You might also consider the time it takes you to learn how to do this stuff vs. paying someone who offers family creation service. I have done this and I'm digging it. It allows you to see how someone else puts something together professionally, and reverse engineer their work in hopes you will start catching on to do it yourself. my 2 cents.

Josh

dbaldacchino
2007-01-11, 03:30 PM
Well, there's no secret...in my case it's been AUGI. I read a lot of posts everyday and I take every question as a challenge and opportunity to learn. And of course being thrown in the middle of a hurricane in real work on a project also helps ;)

I like to understand how things work in as much detail as possible. THEN and only then can you really afford to be creative and think of ways to make something work the way you want. Everyone can pick up a hammer. Some don't know what to do with it and others pick up a chisel and can sculpt the most detailed and elaborate sculpture. I'm not trying to be poetic here, it's just how I see it. Keep coming to these forums and make an effort to not only ask questions but answer some too. That's how I learned and continue to do so!

rjcrowther
2007-01-11, 11:04 PM
Thanks Josh and David. I will try both approaches as time permits. As you both point out in different ways, it is one thing to know how to use the tools, but another thing to know what you can do with them.

Rob