PDA

View Full Version : Using dwg details in Revit

kimheaver
2004-06-30, 11:17 PM
Hi all,

I'm in the transition from Autocad to Revit, just curious how using importing & exploding dwg details affects Revit in terms of file size and performance.
I've got a lot of details, symbols etc in dwg, rather than redrawing them all at once, if I continue to use the same in Revit it is obviously going to smooth the change a lot more.
Just wondering how it affects Revit.

When I explode a dwg detail, does it become true revit entities, 2d lines?

Regards,
Kim Heaver

mjfarrell
2004-06-30, 11:29 PM
Peek at this:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=3966882&linkID=2749628

The first paragraph sounds like a warning:

Exploding drawings from these software products will convert most of the elements to AutodeskĀ® RevitĀ® vector lines and arcs. Any elements that are not converted are deleted. Exploding can cause data loss (elements that are not converted are deleted) or can cause poor performance.

beegee
2004-07-01, 12:58 AM
Firstly - Don't explode the details. Link (and import) "Current View Only".

Secondly - Check out THIS TIP (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4786&highlight=explode).

hand471037
2004-07-01, 01:02 AM
It's better, performance-wise, if you don't need to edit them to simply link them each DWG detail into it's own Drafting View. If you don't care about the performance and file size (because what you're working on isn't that complex) then you can simply import them whole and keep them in your Revit file.

If you need to edit them, then explode them and edit them. Exploding large drawings, like floorplans can cause issues in my experance, but exploding simple little drawings, like details, isn't that big of deal at all in my experance. And I haven't had any data loss.

But when you explode them, they do become Revit lines and such, however the catagories of them is still set to the CAD layers and such.

Hope this helps.

BomberAIA
2004-07-01, 11:10 AM
The following is the way I use my Acad details. I have over 1000 details drawn in Acad. I first make a Drafting View at 1-1/2" or 3"-1'-0" scale. I import my detail after making it 1:1. I explode it and convert the text over to Heavy Hand Font. The make all my ticks and arrow heads a wide line. I heavy up any lines to make the detail read as if I have drawn it by hand. Now I can open a view on a sheet and place it. I can reference a callout in a section. If you link a detail from Acad, the line weights are all the same. When I explode, I don't loose anything. I found this process the best for me. I hope this helps.