PDA

View Full Version : Problem with facia sweeps

Dave Lewis
2007-01-14, 08:59 PM
attachment says it all :)

Wesley
2007-01-15, 04:14 AM
Are the fasicas supposed to wrap around the corner? If so, ensure they are all part of the one set, and it will form the corners correctly. Otherwise you might need to look at overextending the fascias and then using a void to cut them to the end condition you require.

Wes

Arnel Aguel
2007-01-15, 06:39 AM
Fascia should wrap around corners it will automatically create a small horizontal piece along the one that goes up to the rake.

truevis
2007-01-16, 02:05 AM
Maybe I'm just dumb but I've recently resorted to making a 1" thick roof and then slapping fascias under to show the shingle layer going over the fascia boards. Still don't like it but it's the closest I've got to the look I want.

whittendesigns
2007-01-17, 01:38 AM
Well, if you're dumb, I'm dumb too because thats exactly what I do. I make mine 1/4" though.

Roofs need some type of edge profile tool or something.

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-17, 03:55 AM
Maybe I'm just dumb but I've recently resorted to making a 1" thick roof and then slapping fascias under to show the shingle layer going over the fascia boards. Still don't like it but it's the closest I've got to the look I want.

Truevis,
what technique do you use to align the "finish" roof with the "structural" one? I too like the look, it is much more BIM than a single roof object, given how generic the roof object still is. For really large projects I understand not modeling that kind of detail, but for Residential I think it makes sense. The situation that has been giving me grief is a SIP roof that ends flush and plumb with the SIP wall below. Then 2X sleepers are laid flat on the roof, with a 12" overhang, Coravent between the sleepers, and corrugated metal over that. So far a real pain to model in Revit. So maybe I am dumber than you and need to learn your technique to lay one roof right on top of another!

Thanks,
Gordon

truevis
2007-01-17, 04:46 AM
Truevis,
what technique do you use to align the "finish" roof with the "structural" one? I too like the look, it is much more BIM than a single roof object, given how generic the roof object still is. For really large projects I understand not modeling that kind of detail, but for Residential I think it makes sense. ... So maybe I am dumber than you and need to learn your technique to lay one roof right on top of another!
That model only has a thin roof with the fascias that are set back and under. It looks okay except where they intersect at the corners. I'd probably have to add soffits or ceilings under the roofs at some point if they appear in multiple views.. Otherwise, I'd just do 2D detailing in the sections.

What would be great is to have the features of wall definitions in roofs -- like being able to unlock the plies and add sweeps/reveals.

whittendesigns
2007-01-17, 02:08 PM
The way that I do it is

Make my roof core with no overhangs
Copy and paste the the core roof to finish roof
Remake the finish roof structure to a skin roof
Side elevation in wireframe mode, move the finish roof up
Reset my roof for overhangs
Attach my fascia to the finish roof

I really wish I could unlock the layers of sheathing and roofing to pick and stretch like you can with wall layers.

actually, just like treuvis just said

mmodernc
2007-01-19, 09:16 PM
Try using model lines and picking those. Best for when the gutter has to continue without a roof edge.
Anything with plies should be editable like walls.