PDA

View Full Version : Tapered structural elements

timf
2007-01-15, 04:34 PM
What is the best / fastest way to create tapered structural columns and beams in my Revit BIM? ie: PreEngineered Building Frames.

sbrown
2007-01-15, 04:42 PM
Create families for them using blends.

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-15, 05:45 PM
Create families for them using blends.

Scott,
how do you suggest handling coordination with structural consultants? Do you put a true structural member in the model coincident with the "architectural" beam or column to facilitate Copy/Monitor? Or do you do something so the engineer can at least filter your structural stuff and know what they need to monitor manually? I am really struggling with this.

I am REALLY hoping that 10 fixes this. I understand that Revit started life as both an architectural and a structural tool, but now that Revit Building is the architecture only tool, it REALLY needs to allow structural items to work the way we (architects) need them to. It seems to me that diagramatic lines in Course Detail should be an option, not the default, and ends need to be able to chamfer, fillet and in general allow shaping and joining. And yet the item still behaves properly for the engineer if they open the file, or copy/monitor.
Crossed fingers for great happiness in the near future!

Gordon

sbrown
2007-01-15, 07:19 PM
I would make it as a structural item, then let the struct. engineer make it correctly and you can chose to copy theirs or not. You just need it the right size and shape.