PDA

View Full Version : AUGIWorld article about lines - question

CADMama
2007-01-16, 05:51 PM
OK - So I went through the section of the article on Elevations and did some overrides using the <Invisible lines> option on some window trim that was showing on the side of the house. It was protruding out past the edge of the front of the house and I just wanted to turn it off.
SO - I have little corners still there. I can't seem to get rid of them.

Did I do something wrong?

CADMama

Edit here - this article is in the Jan/Feb 2007 mag - pages 12-13.

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-16, 06:13 PM
OK - So I went through the section of the article on Elevations and did some overrides using the <Invisible lines> option on some window trim that was showing on the side of the house. It was protruding out past the edge of the front of the house and I just wanted to turn it off.
SO - I have little corners still there. I can't seem to get rid of them.

Did I do something wrong?

CADMama

Edit here - this article is in the Jan/Feb 2007 mag - pages 12-13.

Donnia,
I think you may be seeing the top and bottom lines of the trim, the ones that run perpendicular to your view and are thus just points. I don't know if you can use the linework tool on them, but it is worth a try.

Gordon

dbaldacchino
2007-01-16, 06:15 PM
I've noticed these "remnants" when editing linework before. There's really nothing you can do. I chose to co-exist with them as they don't show up too bad on the printed sheets.

CADMama
2007-01-16, 06:47 PM
Donnia,
I think you may be seeing the top and bottom lines of the trim, the ones that run perpendicular to your view and are thus just points. I don't know if you can use the linework tool on them, but it is worth a try.

Gordon
I was afraid it was the perpendicular lines of that window family.

(Must repeat mantra again - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad")

OK - All better,
CADMama

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-16, 07:01 PM
I was afraid it was the perpendicular lines of that window family.

(Must repeat mantra again - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad" - "this ain't my daddy's autocad")

OK - All better,
CADMama

Donnia,
another thing to consider. If the building is pretty simple, you might be able to pull the far side of the elevation extents back to just this side of the window, so the elevation just doesn't show it. If you are looking at a gable end of a simple building this can work well, but in most other situations it doesn't.
One other option might be to use filters. You go thru and add N, S, E or W in the Comments for each window or piece of trim, then you build a filter for each direction. Then, in the South elevation, you use the filters to turn off all the East and West windows (and doors?) so the trim doesn't show.
And lastly, I wonder if the reason we didn't show that stuff in hand drafting and Autocad was simply because it took more time. Now we can, and yet we try not to because of a preconceived notion of what a drawing is "supposed" to look like. I had someone tell me we NEVER show shadows in CD elevations because it takes too much time, and then proceed to spend hours with the Linework tool getting the profile "just right". Seems to me a shadow at 5% expresses the form of the building much better, and takes seconds! And looks damn fine, if you ask me. ;) 3D details are similar. Used to be hard and not done, now easy... and still not done.
Part of getting my head around Revit has been getting my head away from what I thought architectural drawings where supposed to look like and thinking about what they could look like.

Best,
Gordon