PDA

View Full Version : Using a Structure template file in Building

Chad Smith
2007-01-17, 04:13 AM
I was browsing the Revit Building User's Guide, and in the Structural topic under 'Project Settings for Structural Design' there is a note that reads

Most of the settings in the Structural Settings dialog box are available if the project was created using the structure template.So I was thinking, is it possible to use a structure template as your building template with no side effects? Has anyone tried or already doing this?

Edit: Looks as though you even start to get access to some of the analytical linework.

ford347
2007-01-17, 05:11 AM
I hope you're onto something.

Scott D Davis
2007-01-17, 05:36 AM
You can get analytical linework in a Revit Building file by turning on the analytical lines in the structural categories of View Vis.

Chad Smith
2007-01-17, 05:50 AM
Ah ha. It would seem as though I have looked over the 'Show categories from all disciplines' check box.
I haven't had to use that option since we don't use or consult with anyone who uses structure or systems.

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-17, 06:28 AM
The template file doesn't bring functionality to the application. For example the structural template will have a floor slab that has a metal pan profile embedded but you won't be able to define the span direction in Revit Building.

Chad Smith
2007-01-17, 06:30 AM
I understand that this won't add functionality, but it is giving access to the few extra graphical options within the Structural Settings which would otherwise be greyed out.

Chad Smith
2007-05-16, 03:42 AM
I have been playing around with this a little further today.

I installed a 30 day demo of Structure 2008, and put onto the project workspace all of the components (objects, symbols, tags, etc) from Structure that aren't available in Architecture. The file was then saved, and then opened within Architecture.

What I found (and it was no surprise) was that all the Structure objects loaded just fine and I could get access to all parameters. I could also copy objects to make new ones and modify them too. The only thing that did work, and I suspect it is hard coded this way, was the Structural Settings didn't show all the structural options, and of course the structure tools didn't auto-magically appear in the Design Bar.
This means, in a round-about and annoying kind of way, you could use Architecture to detail Structure portions of the project.

I have noticed if you insert/link a structure file into an Architecture file, then bind and ungroup it, you do lose some of the functionality. But opening the Structure file directly into Architecture is fine.

All the BS that Autodesk is telling me about how it is just too difficult to integrate all the Structure and MEP tools into Architecture is just that, BS!! I'm sorry Autodesk, but your now back to 0 valid arguments for why the Revit program was split up.