PDA

View Full Version : How do I create a wall matching another wall

Andre Baros
2004-07-01, 03:04 PM
Instead of drawing a wall and then matching properties, isn't there a way to pick and wall and say "draw another wall like this one". There is a way to insert components like this but I don't see how to install walls like this.

Thanks,

anthony.67953
2004-07-01, 03:11 PM
Select Modeling - Walls - Pull down the type of wall you wish to use

Andre Baros
2004-07-01, 06:08 PM
Yeah, but even after purging, I have about 12 different walls types... many just variations on eachother. For example I have different wall for my bathrooms which has the tile added to one side. When I'm drawing near the bathroom it would be nice to just pick an existing wall and keep drawing the same type.

just wondering,

Thanks,

sjsl
2004-07-01, 06:24 PM
I have had the same discussion with a new Revit trainee. He wants to do the same thing.
He was able to do this in Acad/Adt. It makes some sense and it would probably be more productive. The proble still exists that you still don't know (after a while) which wall is which. So the yellow pop-up bar would be helpful.

In Chief Arcihitect all of the wall types display as a different color (color shaded view) It does allow for quick visual analysis. Although the way chief works it still takes work to change the type and it does not allow pick and draw.

beegee
2004-07-01, 10:28 PM
Hover your cursor over the wall, the Status Bar ( at the bottom of the screen ) will tell you the wall type. Select that from the menu and draw.

Alternatively, just copy the wall to a new location and adjust its extents after placing.

jwilhelm
2004-07-02, 12:03 AM
I concur with Andrebaros, one should be able to create an object "like" another object, I have requested this option from the Revit team, I propose that the eyedropper tool have an alternate function, it currently only picks up an objects properties for transfer to another same object type. I suggest there be an option, perhaps holding down the control key while selecting an existing object and this would execute for example the "wall" function using the wall type selected. Something similar is done in Archicad and makes it very fast to creat new objects on the fly based on existing ones, because you dont have to scroll through a long list of wall types to find the one you want.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-02, 01:58 AM
it would be nice if the right-click "Place Similar" were available for walls.

Phil Palmer
2004-07-02, 08:18 AM
Withe regard to the eye dropper tool.

I would like to see that work in the way that it does not only excahnge the type of family to the type you want but also takes on all the properties of that family where possible.

For example with walls you can set base offsets - top offsets etc but these are ignored and just switches the wall to the new type you want to match.

I suppose it would be 'Match Properties' and not just Match Type

Phil Palmer

aaronrumple
2004-07-02, 01:25 PM
Yes. There should be a match type tool and a match properties tool. At the very least - Match Type+Ctrl = Match Properties.