PDA

View Full Version : Cad-Referencing to Revit

linebackjohn
2007-01-17, 06:57 PM
what has proven to be the best way to reference cad files into Revit projects? Currently, we are trying the approach of linking/importing into a family file and then loading it into the project.This seems to take some of the headaches of linking/importing out of the picture.

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-17, 08:27 PM
The answer depends on what are you doing with the cadd files. A little more info would help. :smile:

linebackjohn
2007-01-17, 10:00 PM
sorry steve i guess it was a little vague. bytheway your AU session was awesome. i may have been hoping for a universal answer. typically we just want to place the work of our consultants into our project. they are mostly still using autocad. and the exercise usually involves putting equipment or furniture into a rooms on ceilings etc. before i came to this office they were simply importing and exploding for this exercise and their details. then we switched to linking consultant work and redrawing details. this works fairly well. but now and then there would be irregularities trying to place the link, have it show up in a call out view, get it to read graphically to our benefit, etc. recently we have been linking to a family then loading it to the project. this seems to keep the project file size down and allow altering of the cad info without much ado. is this enough context?

dtownsend
2007-01-18, 12:30 PM
As far as I know you can just link in CAD files using File > Import/Link > CAD Formats. You can control what CAD files shows up in the view by going to "VV" or Visibility/Graphic Overrides command under the Imported Categories tab. From what I gather you are doing this just adding a Family to the mix.

I'd like to know if there are any other ways to bring in CAD files.

rjcrowther
2007-01-18, 12:40 PM
This is some information on the subject. I hope it helps.

http://images.autodesk.com/adsk/files/3968933_Revit_Interoperability_w_CAD.pdf

I have found linking to work ok. Haven't attempted linking into a family file.

What benefit have you found from this?

Rob

linebackjohn
2007-01-18, 02:56 PM
thats right dt. yes i type "vv" as well. "vg" typers befuddle me... we have found the process helps avoid any anomalies in display / printing of CAD files. which unfortunately we have experienced. (i.e., shimmering scale shifts of inserted CAD files) nice reference there rj. was that used to teach a class? i would stress link over import to keep the project file size down.

Scott D Davis
2007-01-18, 04:47 PM
I have found linking to work ok. Haven't attempted linking into a family file.
You can't Link a file into a family...only Import.

Chad Smith
2007-01-18, 09:35 PM
Just be careful when importing and exporting cad files (I can only speak for .DWG) at the moment, but there are a few known graphical errors that can happen. When exporting you can get missing linework, and in your case when importing you can end up with 'ghost' lines which are showing in Revit but are not in the original cad file.
These don't happen all the time, just something to watch for.