PDA

View Full Version : Network vs Local install, pros and cons

Railrose
2007-01-17, 10:13 PM
We have a guy in corp. IT who wants all of our AutoCAD seats to be converted to a network license. We've been running local installations. What are the opinions, pros & cons of a network install?

Ed Jobe
2007-01-17, 10:25 PM
All of ours are network installs. The program is still installed locally, it just grabs a license from the network. The big advantage is that more users can make use of acad when someone's not using a license. If you have several users that occasionally use acad, this is the way to go. You can get by with fewer licenses since you don't have to have one for every user.

You can also reserve a license for a specific user if you have someone who absolutely has to work on acad all day.

DarrenYoung
2007-01-18, 02:45 PM
I wouldn't go back to stand-alone except in rare situations.

When we upgraded out AutyoCAd licenses, we converted to network licenses. The savings from recapturing unused sessions also allowed us to eliminate about 30-40 AcadLT seats and install the full AutoCAD licenses we already had.

Brian Myers
2007-01-18, 03:53 PM
The only immediate Con I can think of would be if you are using a laptop from home and realize that you should have checked out a license before you went home. In a typical office you are just going to need to wait till you get back to the office to use your AutoCAD. Otherwise, it's a good idea.

jpaulsen
2007-01-18, 05:55 PM
Brian is correct regarding the laptop and borrowing licenses. However, if you have VPN access you can borrow a license remotely.

DarrenYoung
2007-01-19, 01:29 PM
Brian is correct regarding the laptop and borrowing licenses. However, if you have VPN access you can borrow a license remotely.
Even a direct dialup connection into your network would work.

rkmcswain
2007-01-19, 01:51 PM
We have a guy in corp. IT who wants all of our AutoCAD seats to be converted to a network license. We've been running local installations. What are the opinions, pros & cons of a network install?Hi Jane,

One big advantage is the control of licenses. With standalone (or MSSA), it's difficult for an IT group with many seats to keep track of exactly where those seats are. With NLM, all the licenses reside on the server.

We run a mixture of licensing types and I wish we were all NLM....

Railrose
2007-01-19, 03:05 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

The reason I asked is that my supervisor manages the CAD packages for our office & we only have 4 seats. Corp wants to take over the managing & convert everything to network. I just wanted to make sure I knew everything I could before this happens. I'm figuring our biggest headache will be them not wanting to roll out upgrades & fixes. I also like being able to have a copy of the software on my laptop, which corp won't allow to connect to the server.

rkmcswain
2007-01-19, 04:04 PM
I also like being able to have a copy of the software on my laptop, which corp won't allow to connect to the server.Your personal laptop? Assuming you are on subscription, the "home use" agreement was recently modified to allow home use of a network license by means of obtaining a special S/N to perform the "home use" install.

See http://caddmanager.com/blog/2006/12/autocad-home-use.html for more details.

Railrose
2007-01-19, 04:14 PM
Your personal laptop? Assuming you are on subscription, the "home use" agreement was recently modified to allow home use of a network license by means of obtaining a special S/N to perform the "home use" install.

See http://caddmanager.com/blog/2006/12/autocad-home-use.html for more details.
Yeah, the new subscription allowance is the reason I wanted to do that. It would allow me to do personal work at home, instead of staying in the office after hours to do personal work. If we go with the Networking license, I won't be able to do that.

BrenBren
2007-01-19, 04:48 PM
Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback.

The reason I asked is that my supervisor manages the CAD packages for our office & we only have 4 seats. Corp wants to take over the managing & convert everything to network. I just wanted to make sure I knew everything I could before this happens. I'm figuring our biggest headache will be them not wanting to roll out upgrades & fixes. I also like being able to have a copy of the software on my laptop, which corp won't allow to connect to the server.

With only 4 seats, I think you will find it is not cost-effective to go to a network version. That is what we found, at least. We have 7 seats; all of them need all day access to AutoCAD; and the numbers just didn't work out in favor of a network license ~shrug~

Railrose
2007-01-19, 05:06 PM
With only 4 seats, I think you will find it is not cost-effective to go to a network version. That is what we found, at least. We have 7 seats; all of them need all day access to AutoCAD; and the numbers just didn't work out in favor of a network license ~shrug~
For our office, we don't need network versions, but corp has about 30 seats & an attitude of micromanagement.

They are also going to load Carpostation on all machines. We were just fine with CAD, but corp bought us & since they use that program, it must be the way everyone should go. They are bullying us into changing everything to fit their standards, even though the software to do my job is cheaper using Autodesk software. If we change, they will have to pay to train me & pay me enough to cover the learning curve.

BrenBren
2007-01-19, 05:15 PM
For our office, we don't need network versions, but corp has about 30 seats & an attitude of micromanagement.

They are also going to load Carpostation on all machines. We were just fine with CAD, but corp bought us & since they use that program, it must be the way everyone should go. They are bullying us into changing everything to fit their standards, even though the software to do my job is cheaper using Autodesk software. If we change, they will have to pay to train me & pay me enough to cover the learning curve.

We went through that about 2 years ago, corp was going to force us to use MS, even tho everything we have developed is for AutoCAD, and MS was more expensive :roll:

We were recently bought by a company that uses AutoCAD, so all is good.

Railrose
2007-01-19, 05:24 PM
We went through that about 2 years ago, corp was going to force us to use MS, even tho everything we have developed is for AutoCAD, and MS was more expensive :roll:

We were recently bought by a company that uses AutoCAD, so all is good.
I don't see that happening. They have actually talked about shutting us down & letting the corp guys do our jobs. I'm being optimistic by saying they will want us to convert.

rkmcswain
2007-01-19, 05:32 PM
If we go with the Networking license, I won't be able to do that.Why not? The recent amendment to the subscription rules allows for it.

Railrose
2007-01-19, 06:52 PM
Why not? The recent amendment to the subscription rules allows for it.
Wouldn't I have to connect to the network to load it onto my machine? Corp doesn't allow personal machines to connect.

rkmcswain
2007-01-20, 02:41 AM
Wouldn't I have to connect to the network to load it onto my machine? Corp doesn't allow personal machines to connect.Jane,

No. That was the point of my earlier post. Subscription users can obtain a special S/N from Autodesk to install a "home use, standalone" version on your personal PC. Of course, this is just a possibility - your company would still have to go along with it since they are ultimately responsible for the whereabouts of the license.

Railrose
2007-01-20, 03:05 AM
Jane,

No. That was the point of my earlier post. Subscription users can obtain a special S/N from Autodesk to install a "home use, standalone" version on your personal PC. Of course, this is just a possibility - your company would still have to go along with it since they are ultimately responsible for the whereabouts of the license.
Yeah, & corp would keep the physical disks & expect us to download from the network. I doubt they would give me permission to load it because they want to micromanage everything.