PDA

View Full Version : Create Schedule to Include Offset and Illumination

jason.combs
2007-01-18, 10:00 PM
Is there a way to add the offset parameter for lighting fixtures to a lighting fixture schedule? This sounds easy, but I can't find the field to put in the view.

Multi-Category schedule?

aggockel50321
2007-01-19, 01:51 PM
If the parameter does not appear as a field available in you schedule, try this:

Open the family(s) your using.
Add a shared parameter to the family, and set it equal to the parameter you are after.
Load it into the project.
In the project, add a project paramter (using the same shared parameter added to the family) for that (lighting fixture) category.

You can then add that parameter as a field in your schedule, and get the offset value you want to see.

jason.combs
2007-01-19, 02:46 PM
I like your idea. I have created the shared parameter Offset as a Type parameter and as a Length. I loaded it into the project, but have missed where the equation to the system parameter Offset somewhere in the process.

Any ideas?

See attached.

aggockel50321
2007-01-19, 04:46 PM
You might be better off to make the shared parameter an instance parameter rather than type, if the offset changes for same instances of the fixture when used in project.

Once you have added the parameter to your family i.e. say it's called Fixture Offset.

Then, in the family, go to the family types dialog, find your Fixture Offset parameter, and then in the formula column type in: =Offset.

jason.combs
2007-01-19, 05:27 PM
Agreed that Fixture Offset should be an Instance and not a Type parameter (varied ceiling heights, etc...)

I tried to create the Fixture Offset parameter as both Length and Text. In both cases, Offset was an unknown parameter in the Family. However, when I insert the family into a project it exists under the Constraints category.

I tried to change the instance parameter there, but that did not work.

?

dbaldacchino
2007-01-19, 07:02 PM
I don't think you can make this work as Andrew is suggesting. "Offset" is an instance parameter that shows up AFTER loading the family into a project and is not accessible when in the Family Editor. This is similar to the Level parameter in doors. So you cannot connect this parameter to other parameters in the family editor because it's not available. If you want to schedule an offset, you'll have to create a parameter inside the family and control the offset with this rather than using the Offset parameter mentioned above. THEN you can schedule your "custom" offset.

aggockel50321
2007-01-19, 07:49 PM
Right on David.

Sorry if I misled you Jason. I thought your offset parameter was a labeled dimension within the family.

dbaldacchino
2007-01-19, 08:02 PM
I wanted to do some calcs with a similar parameter once, but couldn't since it appears only AFTER a family is loaded into a project. Bummer :(

jason.combs
2007-01-19, 09:18 PM
Bummer, exactly.

I suspect that I will need remake the family?

dbaldacchino
2007-01-19, 11:02 PM
Well, perhaps just some adjustments so you can control the offset you need from a labeled parameter rather than the "Offset" instance parameter that Revit puts in the project. I believe that offset is defined as the distance between the level inside the family and the associated workplane where the family is placed. So basically you need a parameter to control the height of your object inside the family from the family's level instead of the project level. Then you can schedule this offset.