PDA

View Full Version : displaying wall as a single line

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 06:06 PM
Is it possible to create a wall that shows up in plan as a single line yet in 3d/or perspective views shows them as a solid wall? Is there a way to manipulate the wall to show as a single line? I could place all the walls and then go back and use a drafting line and select the walls but this would take awhile. Any suggestions? Thanks!

aaronrumple
2007-01-25, 06:30 PM
No - and why?

You could use an area plan I guess and display the area boundaries.

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 06:42 PM
yeah, thats true...or use room separation lines

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 06:45 PM
for schematic design of floorplans the designer wants to show the plans as single line.

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 06:51 PM
No - and why?

You could use an area plan I guess and display the area boundaries.

I tried to use this technique however I wasn't able to print the area boundary lines. any other suggestions?

Scott D Davis
2007-01-25, 07:14 PM
yes....

Set your walls to Bearing in properties.
Go to Visibilty Graphics for the view
Turn on Show Catagories from all Disciplines
In the Walls category, turn on Analytical Model, turn off other subcategories
Set overrides for Wall Cut to White, and Analytical Model Projection to Black, with a thicker lineweight.

Walls will now display using the single Analytical Line as shown in the image:

aaronrumple
2007-01-25, 07:30 PM
I tried to use this technique however I wasn't able to print the area boundary lines. any other suggestions?
They print for me just fine here....

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 07:49 PM
yes....

Set your walls to Bearing in properties.
Go to Visibilty Graphics for the view
Turn on Show Catagories from all Disciplines
In the Walls category, turn on Analytical Model, turn off other subcategories
Set overrides for Wall Cut to White, and Analytical Model Projection to Black, with a thicker lineweight.

Walls will now display using the single Analytical Line as shown in the image:

Thanks! I just tried this and am not able to see a visible single line. The wall actually disappears and there seems to be a line there if you "hover" over it ...its just not visible and doesn't export.I also need to be able to export this into Autocad to send to consultants as single lines.
Thanks for your help!

johnf.77896
2007-01-25, 08:02 PM
Thanks! I just tried this and am not able to see a visible single line. The wall actually disappears and there seems to be a line there if you "hover" over it ...its just not visible and doesn't export.I also need to be able to export this into Autocad to send to consultants as single lines.
Thanks for your help!
Mmenendez, could you turn on the solid fill and change it to match your wall lines or would that be to wide of a line?

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 08:09 PM
Mmenendez, could you turn on the solid fill and change it to match your wall lines or would that be to wide of a line?

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

What do you mean turn on the solid fill? What are the steps to doing this?

Scott D Davis
2007-01-25, 08:12 PM
You turned on Analytical Lines and set walls to Bearing?

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 08:12 PM
ok, I figured it out. I had hidden line option on, instead of wire frame. Thanks for the responses!

mmenendez
2007-01-25, 08:30 PM
Another question regarding this process...Why is it that the single line that represents the wall (when exported into cad) doesn't show just a single line but the wall too. There are 3 lines that are displayed when exported to autocad. This isn't the only problem. In Revit, these single lines overlap at the corners. I've attached a snapshot of what I'm talking about.

ron.sanpedro
2007-01-25, 08:57 PM

John Fleming
GMK Architecture, inc.

I have found that, when that look is really wanted/needed, the best bet is just to plot the thing, lay a piece of trace over the top, and trace it with a fat Sharpie. You still get the benefits of Revit, and you can also quickly get a presentation with the hand drawn look. Sometimes this is both a better result, and a more enjoyable process, than trying to make Revit, or AutoCAD, or anything else, into something it isn't. And you still get meaningful scheduled areas, sections and elevations that you know are coordinated, etc. Actually, the best looking design drawing I have yet to see out of Revit involves turning on shadows, printing to brown paper, then hitting it with some marker and prismacolor. Looks damn fine in no time at all, and is guaranteed right. Sweet!

Just a thought,
Gordon

mmenendez
2007-01-29, 04:00 AM
I have found that, when that look is really wanted/needed, the best bet is just to plot the thing, lay a piece of trace over the top, and trace it with a fat Sharpie. You still get the benefits of Revit, and you can also quickly get a presentation with the hand drawn look. Sometimes this is both a better result, and a more enjoyable process, than trying to make Revit, or AutoCAD, or anything else, into something it isn't. And you still get meaningful scheduled areas, sections and elevations that you know are coordinated, etc. Actually, the best looking design drawing I have yet to see out of Revit involves turning on shadows, printing to brown paper, then hitting it with some marker and prismacolor. Looks damn fine in no time at all, and is guaranteed right. Sweet!

Just a thought,
Gordon

Yes, I agree...and that is what I'm actually working from (a sketch that was done on trace). I was just asked to draw this in Revit so that is what I'm trying to achieve. However, the way I've done this in Revit seems to be the long way. I've drawn out the programmatic spaces with the room separation line and then went back over those lines with drafting lines. I did this because there was a need for different lines than just a solid (separation line) line.

Scott D Davis
2007-01-29, 05:12 AM
I did this because there was a need for different lines than just a solid (separation line) line.
Why didn't you just change the appearence of the room separation line in Object Styles?