PDA

View Full Version : Eaves at Gable Ends

jcoe
2007-01-25, 06:20 PM
I do not do an aweful lot of residential design so I am not sure how to resolve this issue. I would like to close off the space between my roof and my roof soffit. How would you typically do this in Revit? I do not see a tool for this so I am guessing that you need to use some kind of in-place family to close this off.

Any thoughts from you residential guys out there?

patricks
2007-01-25, 06:59 PM
I always do an in-place extrusion, picking the end face of the roof as the work plane, and making it 3/4" thick (like 1x boards).

See the highlighted element in this attachment:

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=10603

jcoe
2007-01-25, 07:15 PM
Thanks patricks. This worked nicely. An additional roof tool to address these situations would be an added bonus.

aaronrumple
2007-01-25, 07:49 PM
....done with just the fascia tool. No in-place family required....

Rhythmick
2007-01-25, 09:59 PM
I created a facia box family and posted it HERE (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=50055&highlight=facia).
Aaron, thanks for the tip installing from the bottom of roof line.
EDIT: Check that! Installed using the soffit line, - good tip!

whittendesigns
2007-01-26, 12:23 AM
I noticed you were from NY. The attachment shows a popular eave return in the New England/New York area. Mostly on higher end homes though. I didn't know if this would be helpful to you or not but I posted in case you wanted an option for your gables.

I get freaky with my roofs and fascias. I do many of mine just like Aaron showed, with selecting the edge of the soffit instead. You can see the line of the soffit in the image I posted.

I also use model lines, which come in real handy sometimes when you can't get your sweeps to mitre the way you want them to. I just set a reference plane to where I want the fascia in elevation, then go to my roof plan and select all the edges of the roof where I need the lines.

dzatto
2010-05-01, 08:50 PM
Aaron, how did you get the gable end fascia like that? I need to do the same thing.

My roof is posted here if you want to see it. It has dutch hips, but I need the fascia boards to wrap like you showed.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=117975

still.james
2010-05-02, 06:30 PM

im interested in how you actually did it to:)

jeffh
2010-05-03, 01:45 PM
Aaron, how did you get the gable end fascia like that? I need to do the same thing.

I am not Aaron, but it looks like this was done by first creating a soffit. Then using the edges of the soffit the fascia was placed and given an offset.

aaronrumple
2010-05-07, 07:40 PM
I am not Aaron, but it looks like this was done by first creating a soffit. Then using the edges of the soffit the fascia was placed and given an offset.

Yep. Fascias don't have to attach to roofs. You can even use model lines.

dzatto
2010-05-07, 08:20 PM
Yep. Fascias don't have to attach to roofs. You can even use model lines.
Still lost! lol

I tried to create a soffit and expected it to attach to the wall, but it put in what looked like a ceiling? It went from wall to wall. Doesn't seem correct.

Can you list the steps it took to do your fascia? Or at least highlight the main points?

aaronrumple
2010-05-07, 08:32 PM
Still lost! lol

I tried to create a soffit and expected it to attach to the wall, but it put in what looked like a ceiling? It went from wall to wall. Doesn't seem correct.

Can you list the steps it took to do your fascia? Or at least highlight the main points?

The soffit does look like a ceiling. Drew that first. The used the fascia tool and picked the edges of the soffit. Really just 2 steps.

dzatto
2010-05-07, 09:56 PM
The soffit does look like a ceiling. Drew that first. The used the fascia tool and picked the edges of the soffit. Really just 2 steps.
So if the soffit looks like a ceiling, how do you show the soffit when you have a gable roof, and the interior ceiling is vaulted? The soffit cuts through the room and hides the vaulted ceiling. Unless you put a hole in it, which is kinda lame because that's extra work that shouldn't need to be done.

aaronrumple
2010-05-21, 08:35 PM
So if the soffit looks like a ceiling, how do you show the soffit when you have a gable roof, and the interior ceiling is vaulted? The soffit cuts through the room and hides the vaulted ceiling. Unless you put a hole in it, which is kinda lame because that's extra work that shouldn't need to be done.

Draw the soffit from wall to edge of roof. Not across interior spaces. In fact it defaults to the pick wall tool. There is also a pick roof edge tool.

dzatto
2010-05-21, 08:38 PM
Draw the soffit from wall to edge of roof. Not across interior spaces. In fact it defaults to the pick wall tool. There is also a pick roof edge tool.
I wound up just drawing some extrusions, putting them everywhere! and joining them to the fascia. Looks good enough for now.
Deadlines, ya know. lol