PDA

View Full Version : Sloped Precast Spandrel (Stacked Wall)

rmcelvain.103137
2007-01-26, 08:36 PM
Hi,

I'm working on a parking garage and I've got a stacked wall with some reveals in it that I'm using for my precast spandrel.

Is there a way to slope the stacked wall where they cover the ramp portion of the building. Typically I've just used a plain wall and edited the profile but I wanted to try and use the stacked wall so I could indicate the different finishes on the panel. I've also noticed that I am having trouble using reveals with a wall that's profile is edited; is this a bad idea? I'm open to change, so if there is a smoother way to do this I won't be offended.

Let me know if I'm not making sense, my background is structural drafting and the program I'm using is Revit Structure.

Thanks in advance,

Teresa.Martin
2007-01-26, 09:08 PM
Hi!
This may not be the ideal answer, but if you are using a stacked wall, you can then separate them (right click and choose 'Break Up') and change their profiles accordingly. You will also need to use Cut Geometry to have one wall cut the other.
Best regards,

robert.manna
2007-01-27, 01:50 AM
I generally reccomend avoiding stacked walls, while a fantastic idea in theory, by the "end of the day" they usually cause more problems then they solve.

-Robert

rmcelvain.103137
2007-01-27, 04:00 PM
Teresa,

I hadn't realized you could break up a stacked wall, interesting. I think I'll probably just go with a single wall for the sloped spandrels though :) .

Thanks for the tip!

rmcelvain.103137
2007-01-27, 04:02 PM
I generally reccomend avoiding stacked walls, while a fantastic idea in theory, by the "end of the day" they usually cause more problems then they solve.
Robert,

I haven't used them much, could you possible give me some examples of the problems you've run into? I know that when I tried to copy them from an architectural model I got some very weird results but this is the first time I've heard someone recommend avoiding them.

Thanks for any insight you can give,

dbaldacchino
2007-01-27, 09:09 PM
Robert,

I haven't used them much, could you possible give me some examples of the problems you've run into? I know that when I tried to copy them from an architectural model I got some very weird results but this is the first time I've heard someone recommend avoiding them.

Thanks for any insight you can give,
One known issue is that openings in stacked walls don't let rooms flow through them, like they do in regular walls.

As for sloping your wall, instead of editing the profile, you might consider placing ref planes (make sure to name them....it's good practice) and attach the top/bottom of your wall to these planes. You can use multiple attachment points to various short segments of ref planes, so you can achieve a lot of different shapes.

todd.69291
2007-01-28, 03:33 AM
How about an in place void or sweeping void. That should make any shape you want.

rmcelvain.103137
2007-01-29, 08:53 PM
As for sloping your wall, instead of editing the profile, you might consider placing ref planes (make sure to name them....it's good practice) and attach the top/bottom of your wall to these planes. You can use multiple attachment points to various short segments of ref planes, so you can achieve a lot of different shapes.
Thanks David, I played with this today and I like it!

Todd, yes, it looks like I'm going to need to use the void sweep to create the reveals in the panels. - thanks for the response.

One thing I am curious about regarding the reveals. With the Host Sweep tool in Revit Structure I am only able to choose from horizontal and vertical for the "angle" of the reveals. Is it the same in Revit Building and if so, is there a work-around for it?

Thanks again,

dbaldacchino
2007-01-30, 05:59 AM
For other angles, you'll have to either create a face based or wall hosted family that cuts your host (you can then rotate it and perhaps include parameters for width, depth and length). Similarly, you might do an in-place family to get any custom shape you want.

todd.69291
2007-01-30, 09:02 PM
One thing I am curious about regarding the reveals. With the Host Sweep tool in Revit Structure I am only able to choose from horizontal and vertical for the "angle" of the reveals. Is it the same in Revit Building and if so, is there a work-around for it?Creat an in-place family sweep. The path of your sweep can be what ever you want.