PDA

View Full Version : Roof with curved wall

Archimac
2004-07-02, 09:21 PM
How can I put a roof on this connector?

http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2369&stc=1
I have tried to select walls and just the ends of the connector to create a closed loop.:?

Thanks

luigi
2004-07-02, 11:28 PM
If you attach the revit file, I will help...or somebody faster... :s

beegee
2004-07-02, 11:57 PM
You should be able to build a roof by footprint, offsetting the sketch lines from the walls using the overhang dimension.

Archimac
2004-07-03, 02:26 AM
I have tried the footprint method. I will try to upload the file when I get a chance to
export that area since the file is 5mb total.

Thanks

BillyGrey
2004-07-03, 03:16 AM
Would something like this work?

Archimac
2004-07-03, 03:21 AM
Yes it would! How did you do that?

:grin:

Scott D Davis
2004-07-03, 04:20 AM
Wouldn't it have been easier to extrude an in-place family roof along the arc shaped path?

Phil Read
2004-07-03, 01:25 PM
Nay. Build it like you'll build it. :) A single sketch can be used. The arc segments are 15deg - but could be less.

My .02

BillyGrey
2004-07-03, 02:21 PM
Thanks Phil, much more elegant solution. End of a 4000 hour week...Now I see it clearly.

As far as sweeping along a path, I don't know. I'm only toddler, so you tell us if there is a better way :):):)

Happy 4th, no matter where you are

Archimac
2004-07-03, 03:03 PM
Wow, guys, thanks for all the help. I know it is a wierd design but it is a friend
dream home and she want to see it hard lined. Now I can show her a 3d image!

I downloaded the file, but could you please explain your procedure. I have been
using Revit less than a month.

Thanks to all!:)

Phil Read
2004-07-03, 06:47 PM
H2O -

Select the roof and then "Edit" in order to see the sketched lines and reference planes. That'll give it away. :)

-Phil

Archimac
2004-07-04, 03:47 AM
Phil, I am not very good with the procedures for drafting in Revit. But, it seems like you drew the inner arc and arrayed a number of lines from the center of the arc. Then you drew line segments from the intersection of the rays and arcs. Then you offset these segments for the outter wall. You then picked each segment for the roof sketch.

I think it takes lots of thought to figure out how many segments to construct etc. Is this correct or did you do it an easier way? What logic did you use to determine the number of segments?

Thanks

Phil Read
2004-07-04, 04:02 AM
I just figured since the entire segment was 90deg to use some even division. 15deg seemed a small enough segment. Could have been 10deg. Setting up reference planes made sure it was being constructed accurately.

-Phil

Archimac
2004-07-04, 04:16 AM
For the life of me I can't figure out how to draft the rays space evenly 15 degrees. I have tried rotate and copy and there is no array option in roof sketch mode. It makes no sense at all coming from the Autocad Way.:?

Scott D Davis
2004-07-04, 05:03 AM
Draw and array reference planes first at 15 degrees, then enter sketch mode for the roof and draw in the lines.

BillyGrey
2004-07-04, 05:49 PM
One way to simply get any line to run out at a desired angle is to draw your controlling line (the verticle one) then run out another line at a opposing horzontal angle, making a corner. Next, apply an anglular dimension to the two lines. Then, highlight the line that needs to run out at 15d, and the dimension string will highlight as well. Enter your desired amount of degrees into the dim string and hit enter. Your angled line will snap to 15 degrees. Repeat as ness at 30d, 45d, 60d, 75d, until you go 90d.

Also, like Scott alludes to, a more effecient way is to use (learn) the array tool.

Do the hip roofs first, then try the curved segment alone. Then utilize the "join roof "tool to get the gable ends created on the ends of the curve roof to "fill" into the hips.

Next, go do all the tutorials, and read all the basics regarding drafting in Revit :P
Never utter the words "cad" again, and never look back...

Archimac
2004-07-04, 07:46 PM
I did not think of sketching the reference planes first. Yes I am trying to unlearn my previous cad knowlege. It will take a while, but the future looks more fun!

;)

Scott D Davis
2004-07-05, 03:48 AM
Hang in there! You are off to a great start!