PDA

View Full Version : Sweeps/Reveals Wrapping Around Doors/Windows

BillyGrey
2004-07-02, 10:09 PM
Hi All,

I created this basic profile to see if I could use it to side a model.
As you can see, it "sticks" itself to the wall real nice, but does not wrap about
penetrations. Hmmmm, I wonder if anyone could be kind enough to let me know
if this is possible before I tweek for 2 hours trying diffrent host/sweep/reveal
combinations (I can do that with one hand tied behind my back) ;p \\

THANKS
B

BillyGrey
2004-07-02, 10:23 PM
Well, this one "worked" a little better, at least it made it around the windows (and through) pfft!

BillyGrey
2004-07-02, 10:26 PM
And just in case, I should let you all know this is an 8' wall, and a matching 8' profile.

sbrown
2004-07-03, 12:18 AM
TMM too much modeling, why not just use a model hatch pattern. Even if you are doing a rendering it will be much better to create an accurender siding material than try to model each lap board.

BillyGrey
2004-07-03, 12:49 AM
Hi Scott,

It only toook about five minutes to model the siding (draw the profile), then try it.
I was just wondering if sweeps/reveals/profiles in general wrap around windows and doors.

I guesss what I was trying to emulate is some of the discussion I've seen here regarding wall profile creation. It would be nice to know how to do. In this case (the case of any siding) it would be nice to grab an accurate profile, apply it, and viola, the siding is done for cd's. ;)

Thanks
B

sbrown
2004-07-03, 09:41 PM
The siding(or any sweep) will stop at openings if the opening is in the path of the origin of the profile, so if you want it to stop make sure the origin of the profile is going to hit the window / door opn. YOu would also have to add the sweep to the bot and top of the window family. a betterway would be a single lap sweep that you just copy up many times(or array) this way only the boards at the windows would be cut.

BillyGrey
2004-07-04, 12:05 AM
Thank You Scott

B

narlee
2004-07-04, 03:02 PM
Scott,

I tried the "copy the lap sweep" up the wall method, but the boards didn't stop at my window opening. So I edited my in-place "lap" family and cut voids at my windows. What am I missing? I went to plan view and created a sweep path. I went into elevation and created a profile for one clapboard. I copied, which required copying to the side, then moving up & back over (it wouldn't copy up because my original profile was level-bound.

I understand why Bill doesn't neccessarily want to use rendering as a visual solution. I don't use rendering that much due to the generation times involved - especially with "Slack-U-Render."

Geof.

BillyGrey
2004-07-04, 05:24 PM
narlee,

...it really helps me to have high levels of geometric detail vs. flat materials.
It would be very powerful to be able to grab a profile and apply it to a wall in the way we describe.
There could be many uses.

narlee
2004-07-05, 03:21 AM
I tried another method, which was to make the wall a compound wall with sweeps, but there were problems:

1) Can't tie the height of the clap to the height of the wall.
2) Can't trim to fit the basic wall by cutting voids in the wall sweep; for some reason the voids only cut the basic wall.
3) The compound clapboard-sweep part of the wall doesn't stop for door and window trim because it stops wall opening like the rest of the wall. In real life, the clapboard stops at the trim, not the door jamb. I suppose one could customize the door and window openings in their families (?) but as mentioned above, can't cut a doggone void into the compound clapboard-sweep part.

Oh, well. More research...