PDA

View Full Version : Tilted Concrete Panels that step

Justin Marchiel
2007-01-30, 12:22 AM
I have read many threads about how curtain walls are the way to go for tilt up, and admit that it has worked well. we are starting do to some panels that need to step (so that the bottom of the panel gets deeper then the one beside it). i can edit the sketch and have the panel step to what ever i need, but the problem is that i can't seem to get the step (in sketch mode) to lock to anything. I try to align to a grid, reference plane, etc, but once i move the reference, the step remains in the original location.

This is not a huge deal, i just have to rember that if the panel size changes i have to modify the step, but it would be much better to have the bimness work here.

is this a bug or a limitation?

Thanks

Justin

robert.manna
2007-01-30, 12:46 AM
I'm not understanding what you're trying to do (maybe I'm just slow). Can you post a screen shot?

Thanks,
-R

Justin Marchiel
2007-01-30, 12:56 AM
from this image you can see where the panel steps down and where the grid line is. they are not in alignment and i would like to have some way to lock them together.

Justin

robert.manna
2007-01-30, 02:13 AM
So after looking at your sketch and re-reading your posts (I told you I was slow), I'm assuming that you're currently using system panels. You should be able to create a custom panel that has parameter dimensions that allow you to preciesely control the extent(s) of the panel. You can make the custom panel match the system panels in size and material. Custom panels can be tricky to deal with sometimes, but they can be quite helpful.

HTH,
-R

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-01-30, 02:36 AM
Have you tried using curtain grids to do your trimming?

Just create the steps using curtain grids, which can be aligned and locked to other objects or ref planes, and then use a concrete wall (or other wall style) as your curtain panel. You can get rid of the panel joints by doing a join geometry on the walls used for curtain panels

robert.manna
2007-01-30, 03:17 AM

Just create the steps using curtain grids, which can be aligned and locked to other objects or ref planes, and then use a concrete wall (or other wall style) as your curtain panel. You can get rid of the panel joints by doing a join geometry on the walls used for curtain panels
Good point, I guess I just assumed he had some reason for not wanting to use grid lines.

-R

dbaldacchino
2007-01-30, 05:09 AM

You can select the grid and click on Add/Remove segments to join panels. I'm just not sure how you can achieve the steps using grids though, since you cannot delete the panels as they step. When you try editing the panel and deleting it, as soon as you try finishing, Revit prompts you about the situation and replaces the panel with a system panel "to complete the command".

Steve_Stafford
2007-01-30, 05:44 AM
You can use empty panel (there are system glass, system solid and system empty)to fill the spot where the wall steps "up". The attached is an example that uses a curtain wall to represent a sliding panel and mullions that span beyond the opening. There are empty panels above and below the glazing.

dbaldacchino
2007-01-30, 05:48 AM
Ahaa, thanks Steve. Learned something new for the day :)

Justin Marchiel
2007-01-30, 04:19 PM
good tips from all.

Thanks

Justin