PDA

View Full Version : Stairs, somethings there that shouldn't be

whittendesigns
2007-01-30, 04:09 PM
I have no idea what the heck this thing is. I did a cross section view of my stairs and found this piece of (wood?) under my stair landing. Where did this thing come from?

Max Lloyd
2007-01-30, 04:59 PM
not sure why its there, but it is to do with the middle stringer option being selected.

No idea how to resolve it though....sorry!

Max.

ford347
2007-01-30, 05:17 PM
Hey,

I've had this problem many times with stairs. It has to do with the way Revit interrpets what the stringer is doing. I've ended up with some funky looking pieces when doing landings etc.

Your a rough framer right? Same here. This is the approach I am taking to stairs now. I have a attached a picture. I use the floor tool for the landing and actually build these stairs exactly how I'm going to have them put together in the field. I prefer it this way because your framers/builders or whoever will see an acurate representation of whats there. It makes it nice when detailing it too. I haven't been able to get a turned landing to work with the stair tool because it doesn't know that the stairs actually turn into a floor between stair sets, so it tries to find places to turn it's supports or stringers and they always end up looking incorrect in my opiion. See if this works for you.

Josh

dgraue
2007-01-30, 05:17 PM
I have no idea what the heck this thing is. I did a cross section view of my stairs and found this piece of (wood?) under my stair landing. Where did this thing come from?

I ran into this too when introducing a middle stringer. The middle stringers want to connect but don't quite know what to do at the landing. I've found that the risers adjacent to the landing need to align with the landing for this behavior goes away. But, that usually isn't a practical option. Kick it up to factory to see what they find.

dgraue
2007-01-30, 05:20 PM
Hey,

I've had this problem many times with stairs. It has to do with the way Revit interrpets what the stringer is doing. I've ended up with some funky looking pieces when doing landings etc.

Your a rough framer right? Same here. This is the approach I am taking to stairs now. I have a attached a picture. I use the floor tool for the landing and actually build these stairs exactly how I'm going to have them put together in the field. I prefer it this way because your framers/builders or whoever will see an acurate representation of whats there. It makes it nice when detailing it too. I haven't been able to get a turned landing to work with the stair tool because it doesn't know that the stairs actually turn into a floor between stair sets, so it tries to find places to turn it's supports or stringers and they always end up looking incorrect in my opiion. See if this works for you.

Josh

Good suggestion Josh. How do you treat the inside railing transition the the landing?

ford347
2007-01-30, 05:30 PM
I haven't spent a lot of time perfecting the railins in conjunction with the stair tool, so myself, I'm ok with drawing the railing outside the stair tool. But like I said, I'm not a railing expert. I should probably dive into that a little and get up to speed. I'll give it a shot since I'll have to on this project anyway and if I get through it ok I'll post my results. Thanks.

Josh

whittendesigns
2007-01-30, 06:18 PM
I use the floor tool for the landing and actually build these stairs exactly how I'm going to have them put together in the field.Yep, I'm gonna do that from now on. I shoulda, and have before, just wanted one try with the stair tool rather than 2 to see if it goes and then...wth is that!?!? LOL

Framer/ Builder/ (hopeful designer) is right, we've met before somewhere I think. Can't stand the cold weather anymore. It was -7 F when I got up this morning. I said forget it.