PDA

View Full Version : Visual Aids for Families

Paul Andersen
2007-01-31, 06:33 PM
I was testing a couple of theories in the family editor and thought I'd share. When working with certain families (both delivered and custom) their can be several parameters that require adjustment once the family is placed in the project but it may not always be clear to the user which one and thus some form of trial and error is generally required. The example I've attached deals with a typical structural framing family.

There are a few parameters in this family that are end specific (Start and End Extension, Start and End Level Offset, Moment Connection Start and End). I know most of these can be edited directly in the model by dragging a control grip or editing the offset text that appears once the member is selected and do not require the user to tweak them in the Element Properties dialog but in the case of the Moment Connection Start and End it's always been a guessing game that I typically get wrong more than 50% of the time. Aside from placing all of your members from left to right and bottom to top so that you can be confident which end is which I thought I'd try to add a visual aid.

The two attached families utilize the same "widgets" (one at the ends of the beam and one centered) which can be turned off either with an instance parameter in the element properties dialog of a selected member or globally for the view in the VV dialog by shutting off the _End and _Start Subcategories of the Generic Model Category. I also added a _Start End Display on Top parameter which behaves similar to the Stick View on Top parameter to keep the Widget coordinated with the Stick Symbol. I haven't added this to our general content yet but thought I'd share the idea and see what others might come up with. As always comments or questions are welcome.

FOUTJM
2007-02-01, 02:22 PM
i like this idea a lot.

just a tweak though, in the family file you have the ends named opposite of what they are when you insert into project.

looking at this i think i would like to do a simplified version of it with invisible lines, so when you select the beam you can see them and otherwise they wont print or be visible.

i also like the idea of a circle on the start end and an arrow on the other end...graphically to me that shows it right away instead of color coding them.

very good idea....

Paul Andersen
2007-02-01, 02:55 PM
just a tweak though, in the family file you have the ends named opposite of what they are when you insert into project.Nice catch. I built these widgets for a different purpose and quickly scabbed them onto the beam family to share a practicle example. I guess a little too quickly :Oops: .

looking at this i think i would like to do a simplified version of it with invisible lines, so when you select the beam you can see them and otherwise they wont print or be visible.

i also like the idea of a circle on the start end and an arrow on the other end...graphically to me that shows it right away instead of color coding them.Great suggestions . . . Thanks.

edit: fixed the families per J's swapped end catch

Terry Jordan
2007-02-01, 03:12 PM
....it's always been a guessing game that I typically get wrong more than 50% of the time.
Yeah, me too........but I'm hitting a little closer to 90% of the time!

Great work! Anything that makes me a little less frustrated is a good thing....

FOUTJM
2012-03-01, 02:41 PM
kind of nice in 2012 you can color the ends of the analytical model symbols. really like this feature, but would like it pushed to the physical model as well, and not plottable pretty please.