PDA

View Full Version : Design Options for Housing Project

ford347
2007-02-01, 05:24 PM
I have a 4 model housing project that need some design options. One of the models is going to have a bonus room option. My question is:

The bonus room is the only option to this set. The model will either have it or it will not. When creating the options for it, should I only create one option, the primary which contains the bonus room? Or create two options, one for the bonus room and one that contains the original plan layout? This way I can keep the original as the primary and the option as the option, so if anything goes wrong, I always have me primary to fall back on. This seems kind of redundant to me. I'm thinking the one option would be good enough. Trying to find the pros and cons of both so I can move forward with this option.

The other thing is that some of the elements that will be in this option set and options will also referenced in other option sets. The other set will contain the options for the "elevation A", or "elevation B" plan. In particular, the exterior wall that will be referenced by the optional roof for a gable change or something like that. I know when trying to reference things in one option that are already a part of another option becomes cumbersome to work out sometimes because you have to end up copying things into design options etc. Any advise for those of you who do these types of projects? These design options will be permanent because these all have to be part of my sheet set.

Josh

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-01, 05:27 PM
Option Set - Bonus Room
Option A - Empty (no bonus room, nothing modelled in the option) - Primary
Option B - Bonus Room added

ford347
2007-02-01, 05:57 PM
Thanks Steve,

That's what I started to do. makes sense.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-06, 07:32 PM
To elaborate on my design options, here's another scenerio I'm dealing with.

I have an 'elevation B' option set, which changed a roof line, added some more thin brick on the house and a few misc. items. This has already been done. So so far on this particular model, I have only one option set. I would now like to create another option set. I am coming up with a few entry options, that may or may not become permanant. My problem is that elements in this new set need to have elements that are in the previous option set added to it....but revit does not allow this. In particular, a column and a set of beams. I would like those to go away for my new entry option, but because they are in another option and I can't add them to my new set, I can't delete it within my new set, so I can't get rid of them. How do I go about managing multiple design options that use the same building elements between them?

Josh

cganiere
2007-02-06, 09:42 PM
I am also working on a housing project and want to use design options. Thanks for the tips.
cganiere

ford347
2007-02-07, 06:14 AM
Really need help with this one guys, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. This one is stumping me. Thanks.

Josh

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-07, 06:17 AM
You have to have multiple copies when you need the "same" object present in multiple options. When you select an element you can add it to multiple options via Add to Option. If you are trying to do this and can't with the elements you select, you can copy/paste them into the option.