PDA

View Full Version : ABS to Revit

bbambu
2007-02-02, 06:27 PM
Utlimately I'll be using both programs, but I was wondering if there was anything Building Systems does that Revit can't?

Right now I'm trying to search for extra piping fittings, valves, etc. and not having much luck, I'm sure that's partly because I am using a trial version of Revit. However, when I clicked on the Web Library I didn't find any check valves, gauges, etc. Am I just not looking in the right place, or do they not exist?

trythefly
2007-04-20, 12:34 PM
Utlimately I'll be using both programs, but I was wondering if there was anything Building Systems does that Revit can't?

Right now I'm trying to search for extra piping fittings, valves, etc. and not having much luck, I'm sure that's partly because I am using a trial version of Revit. However, when I clicked on the Web Library I didn't find any check valves, gauges, etc. Am I just not looking in the right place, or do they not exist?

They probably do not exist. Revit is seriously lacking in the content department.

I cannot even justify starting to develope Revit for my firm yet. I would be building content until 2009. I am waiting on Revit MEP to mature.

2007-04-20, 01:20 PM
The only thing that ABS can do that Revit can't is draw Services......

There is almost no content for Revit yet, there is far too little for ABS, but even that is way in advance of what Revit has.

mjdanowski
2007-04-20, 01:55 PM
The only thing that ABS can do that Revit can't is draw Services......

There is almost no content for Revit yet, there is far too little for ABS, but even that is way in advance of what Revit has.

The great thing about Revit, is everything is "outsourced" into other files and families, so if you wanted to you could easily define the content of pretty much everything. My firm is currently finishing up DDs on our first Revit project, and I have spent the last two months creating a library almost from scratch to match our standard. Granted I did use a lot of pre-made families as a base and reference.
Ultimately if you want your drawings to look how YOU want them to and not how Autodesk wants them to, you are going to have to do the same thing no matter what stage of development Revit is in.

Every single family that is in our project (220 families and annotations in our library) has gone through me, and has been consulted to numerous people within our firm.

The biggest problem with Revit right now is not the stuff you can change, but rather the stuff you cannot. Things like panel schedule formats, some hard coded system family issues, and other heavily aggravating display issues are what keeps Revit on the brink of "not usable." If any Revit developer is reading this, a good goal for future development would be to stay away from the term "hard coded" and increase the functionality of templates.

rafterman
2007-04-23, 12:02 PM
Would you be willing to share families that you created. I know that the reason that Revit Building became so popular was because of the users willingness to share content. If we as uses of MEP are not willing to that I think it's going to be a long time before we start seeing this stuff from the developers.