PDA

View Full Version : Sweeps & Curtain Walls

Cbain
2007-02-02, 07:26 PM
I am frustrated beyond belief with this. I have checked all of the posts I could find on cutting wall sweeps, but none seem to solve my problem.

I want to put a stone lintel on several punched storefront openings using wall sweeps. I understand the check boxes in the family types and the attach image shows the look of what I am trying to achieve.

I made a wall sweep, resized it to fit above the storefront, and then copied it over to each opening. However, the only way this works is by moving the sweep above the curtain wall by a minimum of 5/256", which is how I achieved the look.

If I create the sweep using the steps above and try to copy them to each consecutive window, I get an error message of having overlapping sweeps. Why is this? I realize that curtain walls act as walls, but I would really like to be able to align the bottom of the lintel with the top of the storefront with NO gaps. Is this possible?

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-02, 07:57 PM
If im understanding you correctly, it is possible, but the order of operations matters immensely. We have a similar condition on a job im working on currently. If you make the wall sweet, and adjust the size of it, and then lower it to the exact ht of the CW, i believe it will extend to fill in between each CW, which causes a problem because they end up on top of one another.

The working order that i (if i recall properly) got to work was: Generate the Wall Sweep, well above the CW. Grab the grip end, and shrink the Sweep down to just one "space" in between CW's. Then lower it to the proper ht. Then extend the ends again.

In the end, i decided it was much too big of a pain, and i created a wall hosted family for this. In the family, the sweet is driven by the same profile as the wall sweep in the project, so i can adjust them as necessary.

In the attached, they are a wall hosted family. It made it much easier, in my opinion.

Scott D Davis
2007-02-02, 09:27 PM
You'd be better off making a plane-based lintel, and the width x height x depth is adjusable and then jsut place them on the face of the wall as a family.

dbaldacchino
2007-02-03, 05:21 AM
Or a line-based generic model. Select the wall as your workplane and place away in elevation or 3D view.