PDA

View Full Version : tools ---> review warnings. Is it worth it?

jond
2007-02-02, 10:00 PM
I have a huge Revit project thats about 1 million sq ft and 130 MB in size with multiple linked files. It also has about 2500 warnings in it...

How much do these hurt file performance? Some of the warnings are unavoidable, but is it worth the trouble to be a nazi and make fellow team members clean up their warnings?

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-02, 10:08 PM
99% of the time i think the clean is nessecary. if left unattended some weird errors happen and things don't display correctly. and if they fixed there errors you would not get the 2500 warning, telling you something is wrong.

Justin

dhurtubise
2007-02-02, 11:17 PM
When training new users, i try to introduce them the those warning asap. And i always emphasize to not let it go unaswer. Take care of it right away. If you don't know what it is, ask me.
I think they're a wonderful tool.

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-03, 12:01 AM
Theyre very important. I have actual numbers at my desk, (im at home currently), but we had 3 models in particular where the performance was SERIOUSLY suffering. People were experiencing slow movement everywhere, slow processing, extremely slow STC's, and a LOT of failures during STC attempts.

I spent a week doing nothing but cleaning up the warnings. One model had 1600, the others had 450 and 600, i think. I cleaned up the warnings and not only did we see a very large reduction in the size of the central file, but unanimously across the team, it was said that the models were moving faster and with less hassle.

jond
2007-02-03, 12:06 AM
Theyre very important. I have actual numbers at my desk, (im at home currently), but we had 3 models in particular where the performance was SERIOUSLY suffering. People were experiencing slow movement everywhere, slow processing, extremely slow STC's, and a LOT of failures during STC attempts.

I spent a week doing nothing but cleaning up the warnings. One model had 1600, the others had 450 and 600, i think. I cleaned up the warnings and not only did we see a very large reduction in the size of the central file, but unanimously across the team, it was said that the models were moving faster and with less hassle.

How bout callouts that reference other views?

When I place them it thinks and grinds for up to 5 minutes......

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-03, 12:12 AM
I did a few benchmark tests within the model before and after the cleanup, but its tough to set up an actual control and a variable, so aside from the Revit users "butt dyno" i dont have many concrete numbers to give you.

I do know that the STC thing has been huge. There was a point when it was a 50/50 shot at if a STC would successfully complete or not. People get getting "Elements could not be joined, STC has failed due to errors reloading latest, unexpected join failure, and a bunch of others." A lot of those msgs were attributed supposedly to people not STC'ing in a short enough span of time, but i dont believe any of their habits have changed much (grumble) and we have noticeably less failures. Even myself, i was failing at STC quite often, and it no longer is.

One of our models experiences a few seconds of lag when you click component, before you can insert one... But its our largest model of the three, and im still working on cleaning that one up. Nothing is taking 5 whole minutes though, thats nuts. Saving to central with compact central file selected doesnt even take that long, lol...

jond
2007-02-03, 01:05 AM
I did a few benchmark tests within the model before and after the cleanup, but its tough to set up an actual control and a variable, so aside from the Revit users "butt dyno" i dont have many concrete numbers to give you.

I do know that the STC thing has been huge. There was a point when it was a 50/50 shot at if a STC would successfully complete or not. People get getting "Elements could not be joined, STC has failed due to errors reloading latest, unexpected join failure, and a bunch of others." A lot of those msgs were attributed supposedly to people not STC'ing in a short enough span of time, but i dont believe any of their habits have changed much (grumble) and we have noticeably less failures. Even myself, i was failing at STC quite often, and it no longer is.

One of our models experiences a few seconds of lag when you click component, before you can insert one... But its our largest model of the three, and im still working on cleaning that one up. Nothing is taking 5 whole minutes though, thats nuts. Saving to central with compact central file selected doesnt even take that long, lol...

You should see how long it takes to open up the review dialog in the main model.....

twiceroadsfool
2007-02-03, 02:41 PM
You should see how long it takes to open up the review dialog in the main model.....

Thats really bizzare. I mean, even right now the ugliest of the three models i discussed isnt having that kind of a delay. After reading your post i just went and opened the file, and the review warnings dialogue. The warning thing took maybe 5 seconds to come up, if that.

id start looking in to other things wrong with the systems, but i dont know much about what would cause that kind of an issue. Have you run any regular benchmarking tests to compare how your units are running? Does this problem exist on all the computers in the office?