PDA

View Full Version : Senior CADD Tech.

kirk6650
2004-07-05, 06:16 PM
I am a MicroStation user (since 1988) in Civil Engineering. I was introduced
to Revit just a few days ago and I am interested in getting into Architecture.
Architecture was in my beginning days in drafting. Want to add 'do not know
Acad' except as file transfer and translations for MicroStation.

My question is can a person in my work catagory go into Revit and become
efficient in a relative short time?

kirk6650

sfaust
2004-07-05, 06:40 PM
fwiw, I just came from 2 years of microstation and had no problem. Also, though, I knew AutoCAD (but don't see that as really any advantage) and I knew several 3d modeling programs (which was more of an advantage). Knowing AutoCAD won't help you any more than knowing Microstation. I think that Revit was very easy to pick up, especially if you know about how architecture works, because the program thinks like an architect for the most part. My advice would be to download the trial off the autodesk website and play around with it for a while, do some tutorials, etc...

Hope that helps

bh
2004-07-05, 10:05 PM
You are the person who often has the most success with Revit; one who does not expect it to be "like AutoCAD". Understanding how to put buildings together is at the core of understanding Revit.

Download the trial version; you will see that you can be productive in a very short time. (work on a project for 2 weeks). Frankly, I am confused as to why AutoCAD users are not flocking to Revit. In most cases, they can acquire it for very little and can quickly be producing much more in less time. In addition, their documents will be coordinated and they will enjoy the process of creating buildings with Revit much more.

What else can you ask for? Yet, human nature keeps people in a comfort zone, and the AutoCAD zone has been very comfortable for a long time.