PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Vista not supporting OpenGL, how does that affect Autodesk products?

Mike Y
2007-02-03, 08:57 PM
from latest Ralph Grabowski upfront.ezine (#504) I read:
Wow! Vista Runs CAD (up to) 50x Slower
and:
The reason for the dismal performance? Vista's lack of support for the OpenGL graphics library.

How does this affect a company's decision to upgrade to Vista if they use AutoCAD, Inventor or 3D Max extensively?

Any comments out there?

Thanks,

Steve_Bennett
2007-02-04, 12:17 AM
Autodesk will not support any apps on Vista at this time.

Have a read here for further input.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=54103

Mike.Perry
2007-02-04, 11:46 AM
Hi

Additionally take a look at THIS thread.

Have a good one, Mike

angelo
2007-02-04, 07:39 PM
OK, it sounds like Autodesk to be releasing some sort of patches or announcing something with the next few weeks on Vista compatibility...

Anyone notice the irony? Autodesk and Microsoft are "high level" partners (thus sharing of new technology way in advance of it's public release). At over five years in development and they aren't ready for this release yet?!

The above partnership has been used over and over again as one of their excuses not to support other operating systems. What's really going on here?

Angelo

Ogre
2007-02-05, 02:44 PM
From what I understand, Vista is a different direction for Windows...Granted it looks just like a fancy version of XP and I am not that impressed...I think the architecture is different and a lot of drivers are just more difficult to make because Windows is locking itself down...However, this could be a ploy for manufacturers to sell new hardware...Maybe they are in process of new hardware (65 nm technology is going to hit the graphics cards soon) and they are focusing on getting that out the door first, then trying to support current cards...

Mike.Perry
2007-02-06, 05:04 AM
Techsoft 3D Comments on OpenGL in Vista (http://worldcadaccess.typepad.com/blog/2007/02/techsoft_3d_com.html) via WorldCAD Access