PDA

View Full Version : Displaying 2x6 wood frame wall

dmorley
2007-02-03, 11:28 PM
While useing the Residential Template in Revit 9.1 and choosing the 7 1/4" exterior wall w/ sheathing and siding on the outside and gyp. bd. on the inside....is there a way to display only the 2x6 frame wall in the plan view and "hiding" the sheathing, siding and gyp bd? I would like them to show in the sections, 3d and elevations, but not in the floor plan.

whittendesigns
2007-02-04, 12:09 AM
If you use the detail level and set it to coarse, this will give you just 2 lines for your walls. However, it will still be 7¼", not the 5½" you might be looking for.

If you don't know where that's at, it's at the bottom of your screen next to the scale level

ford347
2007-02-04, 05:58 AM
Here is a thread which talks about quite a few different methods and discusses the pros and cons of some of the different things people are doing. If you do a search, you'll find quite a bit on the subject.

You cannot simply turn off the finish layers of your walls. You have to either settle with setting your detail level to course as whittendesigns has suggested, or you have to use 'cut line styles' and override the colors of your individual wall layers. Check out the pictures I attached and give it a shot. I've tried it before and it works ok, but after trying both, I opt to just leave my finish layers on and dimension to my core. I think the plan looks better with them on personally and nobody really knows the difference as long as you dimension to your core.

Josh

whittendesigns
2007-02-04, 12:55 PM
Thank You Mr. Ford. I learned something today. :)

dmorley
2007-02-04, 06:04 PM
Thanks Josh. I was aware of those techniques but I thought it was kinda klunky and maybe Revit had developed a easier-cleaner way of displaying wall types in different views.

We are just starting the process of adopting Rivit in our office and the more I can make the CD's and views look like Autocad the more luck I will have in coaching around the inertia some employees have developed over the last 15 years.

Doug

whittendesigns
2007-02-04, 09:42 PM
I guess if you want it to look like AutoCAD, then I would say you might want to stick with AutoCAD. It always seems to be a tough sell, and understandably so, to coax people who are use to one way and do it another. It's comfortable to them. Many here would be the same way if someone said, "get rid of Revit and try this instead"

If you were trying to convince them, show them the capabilities of on the fly corrections when you change a window to a different size or move it and watch how it automatically updates in elevations, sections, callouts, floor plans, materials list, etc.

But back to your question, yes, Revit is going to have it's clunky side here and there. If any software was perfect, everyone would be using it. I like ford347's way more than mine just because it's accurate while mine is 7¼" wide. You can still dimension to the core, but it will be noticeable. I don't know if there is any other way besides just getting rid of the sheathing, siding, and gyp, which would obviously defeat the purpose of Revit in the first place.