PDA

View Full Version : High Rise File Size

sifuentes
2007-02-04, 01:03 AM
We are soon to begin a project with two residential towers of 20+ levels. I would like to use Wes' recomedation of 20:1 ratio for memory:file size, and I will need an idea of file size to estimate that. We will start with 2 Gb, but if file size gets over 100Mb, we might need more. So, I would like to get an idea of the size a file of a high rise project can get. Can anyone share their knowledge, and give some general info of the project like square footage, number of stories, how much was modeled and drafted on revit (details in autocad vs in revit)?

Thanks,

neb1998
2007-02-04, 05:53 AM
Are you using typical floor plans or planning to have floors 1-20 as different views?

sifuentes
2007-02-05, 03:28 PM
We are still planning work. I would use typical floors, and generaly model only what needs to be seen on 3d, but the client and contractor want everything modeled as it would be built. We are still trying to find out what the extent of modeling is, and the purpose. So, with that, we'll surely have a larger file that typical.

Wes Macaulay
2007-02-05, 03:42 PM
Towers present no problems to Revit. We've got a 60 storey project that varies but is around 200Mb -- 2Gb of RAM seems to be enough here -- and smaller projects whose simpler geometry translates into disproportionately smaller file sizes (16 storey tower at about 30Mb). All files are 100% Revit, using groups for unit plans, demising and core wall layouts. Wall joins from groups have been disabled where walls connect to the building outside the group. Cabinets are shown in plan with model lines; 2D representations of families are used unless 3D is needed.

sifuentes
2007-02-05, 05:19 PM
Thanks again Wes. Could you share any relevant aspect of your work process that pertains to this kind of project?