PDA

View Full Version : Object reference missing

jkipfer
2004-07-05, 08:32 PM
I am receiving the following errors:
Errors found in references to other objects:
** Object reference missing: AcDbDimStyleTableRecord, to AcDbLeader.
** Object reference missing: AcDbLayerTableRecord, to AcDbBlockReference.

The only related help I can find on this topic refers to a problem caused by the Express Tools' Layer Manager. I have no layer states, and I've purged everything possible with the program CDGPurge. I've run the audit and the Refit.scr as suggested elsewhere on this site.

Can anyone suggest anything else so that I can get the Refedit to work?

Thanks,

Jason

Wanderer
2004-07-05, 08:37 PM
Are these errors just showing up on 1 drawing?

What version are you running?

Was this drawing (assuming just 1) created in a vertical product or saved down from a newer release?

Just trying to get more info so one of the knowledgable people in here can help out. :D

mjfarrell
2004-07-05, 08:43 PM
Try these links:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2889569&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2877812&linkID=2475323

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=2879448&linkID=2475323

Nice to see you here Jason.....

jkipfer
2004-07-05, 09:27 PM
The first article remedied the ** Object reference missing: AcDbDimStyleTableRecord, to AcDbLeader.
The second article although meant to solve "AcDbLayerTableRecord, to AcDbPlaceHolder" also worked for my second error, which was AcDbLayerTableRecord, to AcDbBlockReference.

Thanks Michael,

Jason

jkipfer
2005-01-19, 04:25 PM
Just had this similar message:
OBJECT REFERENCE MISSING: AcDbDimAssoc, to AcDbLine
Can't save back changes because objects in the working set reference objects outside of the working set.

I have a refedit session open with lot's of changes and no way to save them.

Anyone know a fix for this?

Maybe this is stating the obvious, but refediting causes more problems than it's worth.

jason

mjfarrell
2005-01-19, 04:35 PM
Sounds like you refedited an object to which an associative
dimension object was attached, and while this shouldn't be an
issue it is. I wonder if you were to Freeze, lock, or turn off
your dimension layers and then perform the edits might work?

jkipfer
2005-01-19, 05:51 PM
I seem to be at a loss again for how Autodesk anticipates or excpects these features to be used. I was trying to use refedit to place dimensions on my model. In this manner (instead of using xopen and placing dimensions right in that file) I only need one dimension style, since I am dimensioning through the viewport, the dimensions scale accordingly. It has been noted elsewhere that the new feature 'maximize viewport' won't help in dimensioning since it doesn't hold the scale if you zoom.

But there were no dimensions in the xref model prior to me using refedit and placing them there. Michael, are you saying the way I am trying to dimension is known to cause problems? (Well, I guess it does hence this post). So, I know we've discussed this before, but it looks like:
a) dimension in the xref model file
b) dimension through the viewports of the sheet file (I find this method to work best if when changes are needed to the model after dimensioning, that changes be done with refedit, not xopen).
c) dimensions everything in paper space (I used to but I have met with much resistance to it at current place of employment).

I'm going to give method 'b' a try.

Michael, any new thoughts on dimensioning since the implementation of the s.s.m?

Thanks,

jason

michael.12445
2005-01-19, 06:13 PM
I've seen this problem too, and have never been able to trace back what caused it. But in addition, I've seen REFEDIT give wacky results when an xref contains dimensions. When edits are saved back to the reference file, the dimensions get all bolluxed up, with bizarre scale factors, skewed leaders, etc. For these reasons, we consider REFEDIT to be of limited use. As an alternative, we have a VBA routine that asks you to select an external reference, and then opens that file directly for editing (attached).

Michael Evans
Togawa & Smith, Inc.

jkipfer
2005-01-19, 06:22 PM
Is your vba program different than opening the xref using xopen?
I've continued dimensioning in the same manner that gave me the error, but of course now I can't seem to reproduce the error. Every job is a little different. I can see sometimes wanting dimensions as a part of the xref'd file and sometimes not. Sounds like you dimension in the model and then manage visibility via layers. I was only hoping to avoid having a long list of dimension styles-one for every scale.

michael.12445
2005-01-19, 10:00 PM
Is your vba program different than opening the xref using xopen?

I don't know, I'm not familiar with "xopen." Is it a command from 2004 or 2005? We're using 2002, so we had to "roll our own."

Michael Evans
Togawa & Smith, Inc.

ddanielcpaa
2006-08-14, 06:53 PM
I had the same error you had recently; I had not experienced this since many years ago on R 2001i. Well in ACAD 2006 I struggled to find a way to save my changes as I too did not want to loose my hard work. After trying everything I know, I finally resorted to what I thought would have been drastic measures, but this worked and I saved my changes and got out of the vicious cycle.

Here's how I did it. Maybe it'll work for you too, next time of course, as your post is ancient by now... I removed everything from the Working Set, now this did break-up or explode the block in the drawing so it was no longer a block, but I figured it was easier to re-create the block by selecting the objects again and creating the block than it was to not save my changes and have to do all of this over again.

Once back in the original drawing, I re-blocked the objects that I wanted to be a block and kept on going.

There should be a better way out of this without having to do this, but at least I got my changes saved.

kathy71046
2007-05-17, 12:20 AM
Thank you for posting this ddanielcpaa.

I am running 2008 and just got this error and like you didn't want to lose all my changes.

The odd part is that proir to editing the block there were no dimensions, only the ones I inserted to help me modify it, and then once I deleted them I got this :

Errors found in references to other objects:
** Object reference missing: AcDbBlockReference, to AcDbDimAssoc.
Regenerating model.

I've had this periodically through 2007 as well, and never really knew what caused it.

Anyway, thanks for resolving my problem without me needing to re-ask the question.

Mauri12345
2015-04-14, 07:57 AM
I am running 2008 and just got this error and like you didn't want to lose all my changes.

I run AutoCAD MEchanical 2012 SP2 and just got this error message. First post is from year 2003! :mrgreen:

** Object reference missing: AcDbArc, to AcDbDimAssoc.