PDA

View Full Version : Door Schedule

roy.70844
2007-02-05, 05:21 PM
Hello All,
I have done a search and found many people with the same problem as me. That is ...
Some doors show to/from room info but others do not. So to avoid repeating other peoples questions, let me ask you this....
HOW does a Revit door know which room it is in or associated with. I can't find anything in the family editor or any help from the 'Help'. Is it somehow hard coded into the product? If so, then if someone could advise me on how to avoid the problem I would be most grateful.

Roy.

PS Why doesn't the spell checker recognise Revit? Seems kinda obvious to me........

dhurtubise
2007-02-05, 05:57 PM
Like Steve pointed me last week, are you using phase ?

roy.70844
2007-02-06, 09:18 AM
No phasing, no worksets, no design options...
just a new project based on the default template, draw some walls add some rooms then, insert two doors (one single and one double) create a simple schedule .
The single door shows to/from room but the double does not! if you change the double to a single then the to/from appears in the schedule . Change it back the info disappears.

Any ideas? Anybody???

TIA

Roy

glynnis.patterson
2007-02-06, 04:13 PM
I believe it's a function of where the control object is (the arrows that indicate swing). Try switching the swing just to confirm. Last time I looked into this (it was at least a year ago if not longer) I actually ended up making what I called an inverse door to address this issue. My inverse door family had a control that was opposite of where the door swing was. Not an elegant solution but it did the trick for scheduling.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Perhaps there's a better way now to control the association. In a perfect world there would be a grip-editable control that could change on the fly to indicate which room with which we want the door associated.

Regards,
Glynnis Patterson, Architect
Ideate Inc.
www.ideateinc.com

Graham Briggs
2007-02-06, 04:30 PM
If a door shows no choice for From/To Room at all, chances are that the wall that is hosting it is not Room Defining. Check the wall properties, and check the Room Defining box. Then, if a room is defined on at least one side, that choice will be shown in the schedule; you may have to click on the drop-down list arrow to see the named room.

If rooms are defined on both sides of the wall, I believe the room that is positioned to the front of the door (see the Ground Floor or Ref Level view in the family editor) will be the default room choice.

Hope this helps.

Davied2
2007-02-06, 08:47 PM
Hi Roy

Thanks for following this up - I believe that this problem is with the UK content only - Version 9 onward.

I did an example in 8.1, 9.0 & 9.1 - Just four external walls with one internal wall splitting the building into two rooms. I then placed a double door in the internal wall and did a door schedule. All works fine in version 8.1 but not in version 9.0 or 9.1.

From what I can gather reading through previous posts this does not seem to be the case anywhere else just with the UK content.

My next move is to load in the 8.1 doors into version 9.1 and see if they behave correct from there. This is a problem very close to my heart as it causes us no end of problems here as I always have to "fake" the schedule in order for it to work.

I will phone you in the week to discuss.

Regards

Dave

octavianoy
2007-02-07, 03:28 AM
Hello All,
I have done a search and found many people with the same problem as me. That is ...
Some doors show to/from room info but others do not. So to avoid repeating other peoples questions, let me ask you this....
HOW does a Revit door know which room it is in or associated with. I can't find anything in the family editor or any help from the 'Help'. Is it somehow hard coded into the product? If so, then if someone could advise me on how to avoid the problem I would be most grateful.

Roy.

PS Why doesn't the spell checker recognise Revit? Seems kinda obvious to me........

i created new project and draw some walls within 4 rooms created and add 4 doors type and i try to make a doors schedule (see my attachments).any one know how to add room area column?
Thanks

Regards

Yano
----------------------------------------------------------------------Flood in Jakarta :(

ford347
2007-02-07, 07:31 AM
Since the Room Area parameter is not availiable from the to room or from room selection within the door schedule and not availiable in a multi category schedule, you would have to use a workaround for this to show up in your door schedule. You will have to create a new project parameter called Room Height, length for type and add this to the rooms category. Now this will be availiable in your schedule. Create a new calculated value called Room Area within your door schedule and use the new room height parameter you created and the room volume parameter that was availiable and divide one by the other as shown to get your area. This isn't too elegant or revit like, but it is a workaround that could be managed to acheive what you are trying to do. When dealing with sloped ceiling heights, you may run into a problem, in which case I haven't explored or addressed that here. You could also just create your new project parameter and call it Room Area for Schedule or something similar, add that to your schedule and manually type the actual area reading from your room tag into that without using a calculated value to achieve this. All are manually entered which is a bummer. Hopefully someone has a more elegant way of handling this in which case I hope I'm missing something. All parameters from rooms should be availiable to add to a schedule, but that's not the case for now.

Hope this helps assuming I have everything correct.

Josh

octavianoy
2007-02-07, 08:57 AM
Since the Room Area parameter is not availiable from the to room or from room selection within the door schedule and not availiable in a multi category schedule, you would have to use a workaround for this to show up in your door schedule. You will have to create a new project parameter called Room Height, length for type and add this to the rooms category. Now this will be availiable in your schedule. Create a new calculated value called Room Area within your door schedule and use the new room height parameter you created and the room volume parameter that was availiable and divide one by the other as shown to get your area. This isn't too elegant or revit like, but it is a workaround that could be managed to acheive what you are trying to do. When dealing with sloped ceiling heights, you may run into a problem, in which case I haven't explored or addressed that here. You could also just create your new project parameter and call it Room Area for Schedule or something similar, add that to your schedule and manually type the actual area reading from your room tag into that without using a calculated value to achieve this. All are manually entered which is a bummer. Hopefully someone has a more elegant way of handling this in which case I hope I'm missing something. All parameters from rooms should be availiable to add to a schedule, but that's not the case for now.

Hope this helps assuming I have everything correct.

Josh

O yaa ...i am stupid person cause didn't think like you...
Thanks a lot Josh

Regards,
Yano
Jakarta - Indonesia

roy.70844
2007-02-07, 10:37 AM
Hi Roy

...I believe that this problem is with the UK content only - Version 9 onward.

I did an example in 8.1, 9.0 & 9.1 - Just four external walls with one internal wall splitting the building into two rooms. I then placed a double door in the internal wall and did a door schedule. All works fine in version 8.1 but not in version 9.0 or 9.1.....

Dave

I think you are right! I would really like to know how and/or why this occurs. Perhaps someone from the factory could shed some light. If only to avoid repeating the problem in my own doors.

Roy.

davidcobi
2007-04-24, 10:38 PM
Apparently what happens is Revit takes the lowest point of your family geometry and uses that to decide what two rooms you can choose from for your schedule. If the lowest point of your family geometry is below the room lower limit then the room names that will appear are those in the level below if there are any.

This includes any reference lines, invisible model lines, control arrows that are below your sill height. We had a user create doors and windows with a tiny reference line down at the base of the wall. As soon as we set the sill height low enough for that reference line to land below the room's lower limit, room names would no longer show.

This is a common problem for doors and windows that are modeled and not double checked and I don't think many people are aware of the solution. It only appears to be a problem for wall hosted families.

jstack
2008-10-14, 01:14 PM
This thread is definitely helpful but I'm still having a problem w/ the to/from room category in my door schedule. The schedule will show the correct to/from room to begin with but if I reverse the door swing, thus flip-flopping the to/from rooms, the schedule stays the same and does not reflect the change. Any ideas why? How do I fix this?

Thanks!