PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Titleblock Family

ford347
2007-02-05, 07:00 PM
I have a title block which I consider to be fairly flexible. I have some good annotations, some labels that are driven by shared parameters, some movable legend boxes etc. It has worked really well for quite some time.

I ran into a little problem however. I have a new guy working with us now remotly and he has an HP dj800 and the printer margins seem to be quite large. Basically, it's cutting off the line work on the outside of my title block when printing to scale.

I had a thought to make my borders flexible so that I could create different family types based on printer type to adjust for that particular plotters margins. But to do this, I need to find a place in my titleblock to take up the slop that comes from pinching the borders in. I found myself needing to group elements together such as text, labels and the revision schedule simply because you can't dimension these items and I would need them to move. This seems like a lot of work just to get some larger borders.

What have others done in this scenerio, assuming you have ran into this before. should I just modify the whole family to have some larger borders and quit worrying about the 1/2" gain on another plotter, or do you think it's worth having this dimension flexible to accomodate different plotters and their margins?

Josh

dhurtubise
2007-02-05, 07:50 PM
I would make sure both plotter use the same page. You might need to create a custom one. There's a thread going right on about it.http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=54912

ford347
2007-02-05, 09:50 PM
I've outsourced my printing up until now, since I don't have a plotter of my own (:banghead: BTW), so I don't know much about what to do to manipulate or control this stuff. I was under the impression that it was a limitation of the HP plotter and not the sheet size that was specified? Can I just modify the sheet size of the Arch D expand to grab what isn't plotting now? If I can, then I can handle that I believe. Thanks.

Josh

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-05, 10:45 PM
I know on my hp plotter when using the arch or ansi sizes, i use the oversize version (oversized arch, oversize ansi, and you get much larger print margins. I have no run into any situations where the margins on the titleblock where cut off.

Justin

ford347
2007-02-06, 12:34 AM
Thanks guys,

I just ran through the settings on the HP 800 and easily found the oversize Arch D and it's plottable area is 24x36. I'll pass this along to my guy who has the plotter and we shouldn't see any more problems. Thanks again.

Josh

ford347
2007-02-09, 01:56 AM
Hey guys.

My remote guy is working on the the plotter settings now and has chose the oversize Arch D size sheet and it will not print the full 24x36 sheet. It keeps cutting off the edges of my title block??!! He really can't figure it out. Any suggestions.

Josh

The Sweg
2007-02-09, 11:25 AM
Is changing the roll size and rotating the feed a possibility? For example, you could use a 24" roll to get 24" x 36" or a 36" roll cut at 24" to get the same size paper and just rotate the outfeed. We do it on our Oce, and since we pay by the inch, wider paper cut shorter actually saves money. Just a thought.

ford347
2007-02-09, 09:36 PM
Thanks a lot Sweg. I'll give it a shot this weekend when I go down there. I'm sure it is just finding the right combination of steps that work best with his plotter. He states he has rotated 90, done portrait, landscape etc. and nothing works. But then he said he got it to plot another project with it rotated correctly, but the edges still cut-off. So without being there, I can't see what is really going on, but I'll give it a shot and if I continue to have more problems, I'll post some more accurate information so someone actually has a chance of troubleshooting a specific problem. Thanks for you time.

Josh