PDA

View Full Version : Ramps - 2 Directional

d.stairmand
2007-02-06, 10:52 AM
Heres a tricky one for you all
I have a Ramp going from a Garage (height = 50m) down and connecting onto an existing driveway, that slopes away (Sloping from 40m to 35m) as shown in my masterpiece of a sketch.

How would you create the ramp?

I have tried massing it up using soilds & void blends, but to no avail. from my limited knowledge of ramps they can only slope 1 way? I have tried using the topo, but there are just to many points etc. around the area of the ramp.

is ther a way to use the blend tool with 2 different work planes?

any advice on how top model this up would be appreciated

Cheers
Dwane Stairmand

jeffh
2007-02-06, 04:45 PM
I was able to create this using a toposurface object. I just imported your sketch and used the plan and defined 4 points at the elevations you indicated.

dpasa
2007-02-06, 09:01 PM
Ramp = floor... it should have multiple layers or even just a thickness. Is this what we can show as a section?

@jeffh: Nice of you to help... I just don't like workarounds of this kind... There should be a solution for this using modeling in Revit !!!

markl.70662
2007-02-06, 10:15 PM
You can triangulate it.....see attached

d.stairmand
2007-02-06, 10:58 PM
Cheers for that guys!!
I will give all the methods a try & get back to you all

Dwane

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-07, 04:39 AM
Or this...

dpasa
2007-02-07, 07:34 AM
@Steve_Stafford : Yes! perfect solution using basic modeling knowledge!

I must say that sometimes I have to try more and complain less.

octavianoy
2007-02-07, 08:24 AM
Or this...

nice trick steve
you open my mind about massing in revit
thanks

Regards

Yano
----------------------------------------------------------
Cloudy in Jakarta

SCShell
2007-02-07, 02:45 PM
Hey there,
And "that" is why Steve is where he is today.....
brilliant as usual!
Steve

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-07, 04:43 PM
...about massing in revit...Just to be clear, no massing involved. Just an in-place floor family using Solid Blend and two reference planes. The top sketch is assigned to the second reference plane. Both reference planes are rotated to get the angled ends. As for "brilliance" this is a technique that Phil Read and Matt Jezyk have shared with us in the past. If memory passes for brilliance then I'm guilty! :smile:

david_spehar
2007-02-07, 06:20 PM
Very cool but I'm a little slow today. How do you assign the second reference plane to the top sketch? I'm sure this is a simple thing that I'm overlooking but I give up.

Steve_Stafford
2007-02-07, 06:43 PM
Don't give up...try for another 30 minutes then I'll tell you :razz:

Keep in mind that the image posted originally does not supply critical information to really model the ramp correctly, no length, width or angles. So mine is a rough approximation of intent.

Sketch two parallel reference planes, Name Them, Front and Back (or whatever you like).

Create In-Place Family - floor category
Draw bottom sketch on the front reference plane
Draw top sketch on the back reference plane
To switch workplanes before sketching the top profile, Click the Workplane button (first button left side of second row of Toolbars). Choose the back reference plane.

Finish the blend
Stretch the blend to align with the back reference plane.
You may get a warning that the blend is too thin...I did, but it worked fine.
Finish the family.

Now, you can rotate the reference planes to adjust the shape of the blend.

I sketched the reference planes inside the family editor mode so that is possible too obviously.

This ramp could be built as a generic model component family too. Then in the project it is placed during an in-place family so it could become a roof, a ceiling, a floor...and so on.

david_spehar
2007-02-07, 07:42 PM
It's always the simple things that kill you. Worked like a charm - thanks.