PDA

View Full Version : Frames and Join Geometry

Michelle Gibson
2007-02-06, 06:46 PM
Found a simple work around! We have wall and door frames that are wrap around, and we often want to add a finish material such as ceramic tile or 90 block to one side. We create a second wall type for the finish and use join geometry. The rough open is then cut through both wall types, but the frame, which is installed in the first wall only, is not taken into account for the finish material, which ends up covering the frame!

so

go ahead and do all the above, pull up the associated elevation.

select the material application and use the edit profitle command. You will find you have the perimeter of the wall highlighted, but not the window or door frame opening. All you have to do is draw a rectangle around the frame where you want the material finish to stop and hit "finish sketch".

voila - it is corrected in elevation and plan.

I've only tried it once, so I hope it works.

ford347
2007-02-06, 07:01 PM
Thanks Michelle....good drafting tip!!

I guess the only other way to do it would be to not join geometry of the veneer wall and use the opening tool to cut the veneer wall using the frame as the extents. This would work as well at first thought anyway. I think your way would be simpler since the opening tool is a pain to work with in my opinion as opposed to the edit cut profile tool. The only way I would use the opening method is if I were trying to an accurate material take off via revit's material take off tool.

Nice work. Thanks.