PDA

View Full Version : Walkthrough Res Settings?

bjohns
2007-02-07, 05:03 PM
We keep trying to create a Walkthrough (flyby) of a retail site, but our results are always choppy resolution and we are going too fast thru the parking lot (the walkthrough feels like your in a car with crazed, drunk, high school students on a Friday night- minus the rolling car at the end). Any setting suggestions on clearing up the quality and slowing down the pace?

Thanks

s.messing
2007-02-07, 07:00 PM
We keep trying to create a Walkthrough (flyby) of a retail site, but our results are always choppy resolution and we are going too fast thru the parking lot (the walkthrough feels like your in a car with crazed, drunk, high school students on a Friday night- minus the rolling car at the end). Any setting suggestions on clearing up the quality and slowing down the pace?

ThanksGive whomever is planning on watching the vid a couple of shots of jagermeister and don't let them operate any heavy machinery afterwards!

No, seriously. There are several basic things you need to keep in mind when making a normal walk-through/ fly-through.
1. Make sure there are only small changes in the cone of vision (direction)
2. Slow the person down to be realistic
3. Make as many key frames as you need (but don't overkill because you can always add more)

Draw your walk-through by clicking the key frames. Make sure there are key frames any place where there will be a significant change of direction or speed. Then go into Edit the active camera of the walk-through. Make sure each key frame is pointed in the right direction. The smaller the movement between key frames, the smoother your vid will be.

As for speed, if you click the 300 (default # of frames), you can override the speed by unchecking the Uniform Speed box. Then, you can make the accelerator per key frame smaller than 1.0 (but larger than 0.1). This gives you an opportunity to slow down the whole thing or pick sections of the walk-through to slow down (especially when you are turning drastically or looking at something specific or important).

Finally, export the whole thing to see how it plays on a viewer. I can pretty much guarantee that it will be a slightly different speed inside of Revit than it will outside. After a couple of edits and maybe two exports, you will have excellent results.

Good luck,
Stephen

bjohns
2007-02-07, 09:50 PM
Thanks so much Stephen that did help also found where I can change the dpi. Is there a way to render the walkthrough?

mibzim
2007-02-08, 04:45 AM
Good luck rendering - unles syou have a super computer! Took us almost six weeks once... we thought the computer had died on us!

scottk.104155
2007-02-10, 02:18 AM
Recently, I experimented with rendering walkthroughs for the first time. They do take a long time to render. Typically, I will get the rendering set up before leaving work for the night, and render it over night. There seemed to be four major factors that determined the length and the quality.

1. The radiosity and the raytrace settings.
2. The image size in dpi.
3. The amount of frames.
4. The overall length of the walkthrough.

I found that keeping the image at 72 dpi was the most successful. A 72 dpi walkthrough at 400 frames, 30 seconds, good raytrace and good radiosity settings took about 6 hours. The avi file size was about 220 mb.

The larger the image size the more choppy it got. I increased the dpi to 200 and the file size went up to 1.2 gigs. It took about 29 hours to render, and the playback was very choppy.

No matter what size out put you go with, I would render several key frames on there own before you waste too much time on a walkthrough. Make sure the stills have the quality you are looking for before rendering 300 of them. Also, export and view the walkthrough in shaded mode to make sure the speed is OK before doing the rendering. Keep the raytrace and radiosity at medium or good for the first couple of iterations.

Does anyone know if compressing the walkthrough makes larger walkthroughs less choppy?

I hope this helps,

Scott.