PDA

View Full Version : different wall base with ceramic tile

Michelle Gibson
2007-02-07, 07:33 PM
I have a wall type which has ceramic tile on either side of stud. I would like to be able to stop the ceramic tile 6" from the floor in order that I can use resilient sheet flooring with cove molding. This is typical for all walls with ceramic tile, so instead of having to edit profile or cut face or something (because I have yet to figure out how to do that....) is there a way to have the base of the wall show only the backer board and not the tile?

aaronrumple
2007-02-07, 07:47 PM
We build tile walls as separate objects next to the main wall. Then these are filtered out so they don't show in plan....

Justin Marchiel
2007-02-07, 07:47 PM
you could create a reveal in the wall family that "cuts" the ceramic tile. the reveal would be as wide as you tile and as high as you want to create it.

The result will appear that the reveal has cut away the tile, just like you would like. and since it is built into the family, this change will apply to all walls. if you only wanted it on certain wall, i would create a void sweep that could be applied to singular walls.

Justin

pleasantc
2007-07-10, 09:34 PM
When you say you build tile walls as "separate objects", do you mean its own wall type or a family? And how do you "filter" them out in plan?

SkiSouth
2007-07-10, 11:28 PM
I use a wall sweep on a standard wall type integral to the wall type.. Set the wall sweep to be cuttable for the inserts. Attached is a simple wall example. I set the sweep to be the height needed. If you're doing elevations you can also just use wall sweeps - These sweeps (not integral to the wall ) would be able to be turned off using object styles.

Mark James
2007-07-11, 03:34 AM
Alternatively, you could modify the wall structure by unlocking the tiled layer at the base of the wall.
This allows you to nominate a base extension distance for the tiled layer in the wall properties dialogue box - creating an offset for the tiles.

SkiSouth
2007-07-11, 02:38 PM
Modifying the wall layer to unlock it works for tile on one side of the wall, but as there are two sides that must be unlocked, it cannot be JUST that solution, as unlocked layers must be adjacent to each other (and in this case - the center wall stud construction would separate the layers that would need to offset vertically)

aaronrumple
2007-07-11, 04:56 PM
Modifying the wall layer to unlock it works for tile on one side of the wall, but as there are two sides that must be unlocked, it cannot be JUST that solution, as unlocked layers must be adjacent to each other (and in this case - the center wall stud construction would separate the layers that would need to offset vertically)
Unlock the stud and gyp on each side of the stud.. Then pull it down. This will leave the tile off the floor on either side.

pleasantc
2007-07-11, 06:53 PM
Aaron, could you please reply to my previous questions? They were intended for you and I would like to try to understand what you're doing. There seems to be quite a few preferred methods, and everyone thinks their way is the best! I first made wall types that included the tile, but that necessitates splitting walls into multiple pieces. So, then I made the tile it's own wall, which works fine except the endpoints snap the the centerline of the perpendicular wall. That makes me wonder if the material take-offs will work properly. I also read that someone uses a sweep of some kind that allows you to pick the path, but I'm not sure how that would work. This is where my question for you comes in.

SkiSouth
2007-07-11, 09:10 PM
Unlock the stud and gyp on each side of the stud.. Then pull it down. This will leave the tile off the floor on either side.
Gotta love the Maharishi. Earns his keep every time...

pleasantc
2007-07-12, 12:16 AM
I'm not concerned with pulling the tile up off the floor - I'm acquainted with that. What he said originally was, "We build tile walls as separate objects next to the main wall. Then these are filtered out so they don't show in plan...." That is what my question pertains to. Thank you for trying to help.

SkiSouth
2007-07-12, 01:38 AM
"We build tile walls as separate objects next to the main wall. Then these are filtered out so they don't show in plan...." That is what my question pertains to. Thank you for trying to help.
Aaron was responding to the original question, as was I. As far as your question. You give the wall type a defining wall type name and then use a filter on the view (I assume a plan view) using this unique wall type name of the wall you wish to turn off. This example I pulled from a project where I separated the cooler walls out as they were part of the equipment purchase, not building..

Mr Spot
2007-07-12, 09:31 AM
We use the same method as Aaron.

The tiles are modelled as a separate wall on their own so we have complete independant control of their extents.

In the properties of the wall we have entered FINISH in the description field. Then we have created a filter as Skisouth describes that is called Wall Finishes:

Applies to Walls, Filter Description equals FINISH

Then add this filter to the view in the Visibility/Graphics window (VG or VV) of your plan and turn off the visibility of the filter.

This then allows you to turn off the visibility of the Wall Finishes in any view.

HTH.

BTW, I'm just summarizing what everyone else has already said.

pleasantc
2007-07-12, 02:46 PM
Thank you, Mr Spot for your explanation.
What about the endpoints snapping to the centerline of the perpendicular wall, and how that affects material take-offs?
Also, I have put a mirror on the wall, but I can't get the tile wall to be cut by it. I have tried joining the tile wall to the wall the mirror is on. I tried making the mirror thicker than the tile but the mirror just disappeared in plan and still didn't show up in elevation. I tried making the tile wall as a sweep, this also did nothing for the mirror. What am I doing wrong?! I would rather not make the tile an integral sweep, because as I previously mentioned, that requires splitting walls into multiple segments. Thanks for the help.

dhurtubise
2007-07-12, 03:31 PM
Guys on what size of project are you using that method ?
Tried it on an hotel file with rooms being group ?

aaronrumple
2007-07-12, 04:08 PM
Thank you, Mr Spot for your explanation.
What about the endpoints snapping to the centerline of the perpendicular wall, and how that affects material take-offs?
Also, I have put a mirror on the wall, but I can't get the tile wall to be cut by it. I have tried joining the tile wall to the wall the mirror is on. I tried making the mirror thicker than the tile but the mirror just disappeared in plan and still didn't show up in elevation. I tried making the tile wall as a sweep, this also did nothing for the mirror. What am I doing wrong?! I would rather not make the tile an integral sweep, because as I previously mentioned, that requires splitting walls into multiple segments. Thanks for the help.
Material takeoffs should be fine. The tile wall will snap to the adjacent tile wall - not the structural wall behind. You can always disallow join to keep the tile from snapping to an adjacent wall.

In reality, is the mirror going to be placed on the gyp. bd. wall or on the tile wall? If it goes on the tile wall, just rehost it to the tile wall. You might need to be in 3D to get it relocated. If it is really mounted to the main wall, use edit profile to put a hole in the tile.

Also you might check your mirror family. It might not be moving with the width of the wall - a common error people make when making wall hosted families. Make sure you have two walls in the family of different sizes and switch between them.

aaronrumple
2007-07-12, 04:14 PM
Guys on what size of project are you using that method ?
Tried it on an hotel file with rooms being group ?
It works very well on large projects. Right now I'm using linked files rather than grouping. Lower overhead on the main project. Since the links don't need to join or interact with the main host - it works well.

I like to break up my hotel rooms into several groups (or linked files.) I typically do the "innards" - toilets caseworks etc. - as one groups. Interior finished as another group (or linked file.) this will include tile walls, base trim, floors, etc. The the structural walls are a separate group.

I've got a 90ish unit luxury housing project (300000 sf +/-) I'm working on where this has been going very smoothly.

pleasantc
2007-07-12, 05:25 PM
Great, thank you so much! The mirror would be mounted to the main wall, because the tile is just a wainscot, and would go up around the mirror. But, I don't know why I didn't think of editing the profile! I checked the mirror, and it does move with the width of the wall. Thanks, again.

Mr Spot
2007-07-12, 11:33 PM
Great, thank you so much! The mirror would be mounted to the main wall, because the tile is just a wainscot, and would go up around the mirror. But, I don't know why I didn't think of editing the profile! I checked the mirror, and it does move with the width of the wall. Thanks, again.
As an alternative to having to edit the profile you could add a void to the mirror family that is set to cut the host wall to a parametric depth (with 0 being an option).

Then host the mirror to the tile and set the appropriate cut depth...

pleasantc
2007-07-13, 12:26 AM
Interesting.. I'll have to try that out. Thanks!

yanyan77
2009-06-05, 08:26 PM
I use a wall sweep on a standard wall type integral to the wall type.. Set the wall sweep to be cuttable for the inserts. Attached is a simple wall example. I set the sweep to be the height needed. If you're doing elevations you can also just use wall sweeps - These sweeps (not integral to the wall ) would be able to be turned off using object styles.

I am curious how u make the sweep high like that?
I tried to edit the profile, but failed.
could you tell me how ?