PDA

View Full Version : Dimensions and centerline and grids, oh my?

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-08, 10:15 PM
So I was looking at using the different tick for centerlines, and thinking "Great, centers of windows and doors, grid lines, all the stuff we want with a dot not a tick, will just work! Cool!" And for the most part it works, but even though a grid line is a centerline, it seems to not meet the dimension's requirements. Is there something I am doing wrong here? I would love to use this feature, but if a grid line doesn't dim as a center line, then the whole feature is useless to us.
Crossed fingers there is something I am missing.

Thanks,
Gordon

Scott D Davis
2007-02-08, 10:28 PM
How does the grid know its a centerline? In some cases, we set up grids that are face of core on the exterior and centerline of walls for the interior. The gridline itself doesn't know whether its center or face.

You could dimension to the center of the wall on the grid instead?

ron.sanpedro
2007-02-08, 10:37 PM
How does the grid know its a centerline? In some cases, we set up grids that are face of core on the exterior and centerline of walls for the interior. The gridline itself doesn't know whether its center or face.

You could dimension to the center of the wall on the grid instead?

It is the center of the conceptual grid, that is why we use a center line type to represent grid lines. Sure, you can align a wall edge to the "center" of the grid line, but by definition, the grid line itself is a centerline. Another way to thick of it is a line can't have an edge or side, as that would require a width, which a line can't have.
I had hoped that dimensioning to the grid would give us a center line tick, and dimensioning to the coincident wall face a regular tick. No such luck I guess. In a perfect world I would want a tick for centers (doors and windows, etc), a tick for edges (walls and such) and a tick for "concepts" like grid lines. The grid is the governing structure of the plan, but is not "real" on its own. Only thru actually aligning build items does the grid manifest. A different tick can be useful to express this.

Oh well ;)
Gordon